Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't do what I did!

Don't do what I did!

Since I have been using starch, I love love it. Starching the fabric before using the Accugo really helps get nice cuts.I have a million 2 1/2 strips to sub cut so I thought I would save myself some time and make a large batch of liquid starch and soak the strips and then toss them into the dryer. What a mess!! It will take me forever to untangle and flatten so they can be pressed!!!! What the heck was I thinking!!!???!!!! So they are in the washing machine right now. That is what I get for being lazy!!!
    Kathy

Yikes, aren't you afraid you will have an even worse mess when you get them out of the washer?

Sounds like a real mess. I would be afrais it would ruin my dryer. Some short cuts are not good. I'm hoping for the best for you.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Thanks for posting this. Hope your untangle time goes quickly!

Hope it doesn't take you too long to untangle.
    Heather

So sorry you're having such trouble, but I'm confused. How is putting them in the washer going to help? Won't you just have a tangled mess of WET strips?

My Mother used to do that, but hung them outside to dry not put them in the dryer. She would bring them in sprinkle them down, roll them in something for awhile then iron. I still have some blocks she had cut out but not done anything with, they are as stiff as cardboard.

Holy smokes.....sounds like you're going to have more of mess after putting them in the washer. Hope you have a LOT of patience today :0(

don't feel bad i have done done things just like that and trying to salvage the mess is the hard part and i have a hard time throwing things away so i fight it to the end... hope it works out for you

Blog Entries
    I love learning lessons from people who have already made the mistakes - sorry you are so tangled up. If you decide to experiment with the process again, you might try putting them in a lingerie bag, then into the dryer. Never done it but it might help since it keeps my bras from getting all mixed up.

Blog Entries
    What about your dryer - does it have starch on the inside now? I can follow your thought process, but thanks for taking it to the end for the rest of us who might be tempted to look for a quick-dry, too. When I want to cut, waiting for the starch to dry always seems to take forever!
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kat112000 View Post
    Since I have been using starch, I love love it. Starching the fabric before using the Accugo really helps get nice cuts.I have a million 2 1/2 strips to sub cut so I thought I would save myself some time and make a large batch of liquid starch and soak the strips and then toss them into the dryer. What a mess!! It will take me forever to untangle and flatten so they can be pressed!!!! What the heck was I thinking!!!???!!!! So they are in the washing machine right now. That is what I get for being lazy!!!
    Did that with over 200 3" squares once!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

how to wash your fabric or strips and they not tangle. use large saftey pins. layer several strips of material. place a pin at each end, going through the material one time. if the strips are very long place one or two in between the ends. When doing a few yards of material , unfold mat. then fold long way into say 1 yard lengths accordding style. pin sa above. the material will not make a birds nest.

Quote Originally Posted by Eva Knight View Post
    how to wash your fabric or strips and they not tangle. use large saftey pins. layer several strips of material. place a pin at each end, going through the material one time. if the strips are very long place one or two in between the ends. When doing a few yards of material , unfold mat. then fold long way into say 1 yard lengths accordding style. pin sa above. the material will not make a birds nest.
    Best tip I've heard in a long time - thank you!!!!!! My quilting days just got easier thanks to you.....

A friend gave me several hundred 5" sqs. that were hand dyed, and yep....guess what I did. Washer and what a big mess that was. Probably not as bad as the strips but a mess just the same. Days later and much frustration (with a few colorful words thrown in) finally got them sorted, threads trimmed and pressed. Do you think there was a single 5" square left in the bunch. HA!!! Well all those little darlings are still in a bag marked some day...

Two hours of cutting threads and I almost have them all apart. I guess I didn't mention the reason for washing them was that Tons of the strips were glued together from the startch and very hard to pull a part.
    Kathy

Power Poster
    I wanted to wash my ties that I collected for a tie quilt. I put them into the washer not even thinking about them tangling. When I opened the washer they were in one giant ball. It took me about 2 hours to untangle them. I did not put them in the dryer but hung them on the line to dry. Live and learn, live and learn.

Blog Entries
    I can't tell you how many times I've done something thinking it would save time only to learn the hard way not to take short cuts. And I still forget that lesson, although I'm getting better. I don't think you are lazy just trying to save time.

Quote Originally Posted by b.zang View Post
    What about your dryer - does it have starch on the inside now? I can follow your thought process, but thanks for taking it to the end for the rest of us who might be tempted to look for a quick-dry, too. When I want to cut, waiting for the starch to dry always seems to take forever!
    Actually, the dryer is good.
    Kathy

Sorry for your tangles. This sounds like something I would do!
    Lorraine

Poor you.... what a chore. I wonder if you had put them in a mesh lingerie bag or pillow case before if that would have helped.

Yes, we used to do that too! We would sprinkle them down (we had a pepsi bottle with a sprinkler cork) and then rolled them up in a towel. If we weren't able to iron them right away, we would put the bundle in the freezer, that way they wouldn't get mildew.

Quote Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
    My Mother used to do that, but hung them outside to dry not put them in the dryer. She would bring them in sprinkle them down, roll them in something for awhile then iron. I still have some blocks she had cut out but not done anything with, they are as stiff as cardboard.
    Kathy Stewart from IA
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kath_stirut

You could have just sewn the whole mess to a background and called it an art quilt - LOL.

Sorry this happened to you - I have seen reports and I'd I'd be afraid to machine wash any precuts and put them in the dryer. Thanks for reinforcing the lesson.

Or maybe stuff it in a pillowcase & call it a doggy bed??
    You have a lot more patience than I.

I am guilty of trying short cuts too to only find myself doing it the hard way

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast