Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double Batting and Quilting Design Question >

Double Batting and Quilting Design Question

Double Batting and Quilting Design Question

Old 04-24-2019, 01:50 PM

Default Double Batting and Quilting Design Question

Friends, I could be asking for a tough challenge here, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience quilting a double batted quilt on a domestic machine specifically using: Hobbs Cloud Loft (polyester 5/8in thick) and Warm and Plush (cotton, 1/4in loft?). I glue baste, and I've never glue basted a poly batting before! Will it baste ok to the cotton batting?

I know tension will be very different because it's such a crazy combination of battings I'm using, so I'm prepared for that. I will be trying this on the (new to me) Janome 7700 so at least there is 11in of harp to squish through. I also plan to attempt Baptist Fans on the quilt because it's a rainbow quilt for my rainbow loving 4 year old who also loves fluffy, and the fans look like rainbows to her I've done Baptist Fans on a big quilt in my little Janome with the 6.5in throat, so I know what I'm getting into there, at least.

Am I in for a world of hurt here? Any tips about glue basting poly batting and quilting a double batted poly/cotton quilt would be appreciated!

Top is 63x80

[ATTACH=CONFIG]612039[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails rainbow-quilt.jpg  
Old 04-24-2019, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

I find glue basting polyester batt doesn’t hold very well. The looser fibers have more movement then 80/20 batt. You might want to add some pin basting.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

I have only used two low loft poly battings together. Not real easy to quilt. I never glue baste only use large safety pins.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:29 PM

Double batting on a domestic machine can be a challenge! I've combined polyester batting + cotton/wool batting, using 505 spray. No problem with layers shifting, but the added bulk is a bit difficult to maneuver through the harp of a domestic machine. It can be done, but a bit of patience is definitely required.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:52 PM

I think you're in for a challenge, personally speaking, but I wish you a lot of luck. It's a lovely quilt though.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:08 PM

sounds like quite the challenge--poly batting tends to be slipperier than cotton or wool bat. I've never tried to glue baste it. are you doing a double bat to get better quilting definition? If so, wouldn't a single, higher loft poly do the same? Or is it to give more warmth? In that case I'd probably just use a single, wool bat.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:26 AM

I have quilted double batted quilts on a domestic numerous times, but only an 80/20 and wool, but spray basted.

Are you FMQ-ing or using rulers?

I would think that you might want to add pins as my experience (at least with spray basting) is that poly batting doesn't stick very well.

Watson
Old 04-25-2019, 06:07 AM

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

I thought I had remembered reading that poly batting didn't glue/spray baste very well. Rats. I've also been reading on other threads that a high loft batting also needs some compression while quilting to form stitches well. Going to be an interesting challenge! I pin basted my very first quilt and it was pretty miserable so I never did it again, but per your advice, I'll stick some pins in the stinker when I give it a go.

I've wrangled a few Queen and King quilts through the 6.5in harp so at least I know that I don't lack dedication!

So I had wanted the cloud loft poly for the fluff factor since my 4yo is in love with fluffy right now, but I wanted the cotton so it would shrink and crinkle up better as the poly doesn't shrink. Maybe I'm asking for too much. We can't use wool in the house because Hub is highly allergic and we don't know if the kids have the same allergy - we have no wool around here and don't plan to test this out.

I was going to mark and then FMQ with no rulers. I plan to build another foam insulation topper for the new machine before attempting any of this as soon as I find the time.

Now I'm wondering if it wouldn't just be better to do a layer of Hobbs Polydown instead of the Cloud Loft because it's thinner. I was thinking thicker was better but maybe just not.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:20 PM

Wishing you good luck as I am not sure how 2 different battings would work together. Very pretty quilt.