Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double fold binding >

Double fold binding

Double fold binding

Old 03-20-2020, 10:55 AM
Power Poster
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 40,936
Default Double fold binding

I am seeing increasing numbers of YouTube tutorial on French binding. Since when did double fold binding become French binding? Did someone just decide to call it that to sound fancy?😳
Tartan is offline  
Old 03-20-2020, 11:07 AM
Super Member
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,575

Thank you for the good laugh ! I am old school when it comes to sewing--new terms, same ideas .
annievee is offline  
Old 03-20-2020, 11:12 AM
Super Member
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,521

So... I've pretty much always called it "french double fold", but I say "soda pop" too and hubby says that is redundant as well!
Iceblossom is offline  
Old 03-20-2020, 11:58 AM
Power Poster
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 12,858

I was taught to make ( French Binding) back in the early 60’s- then in the late 90’s I noticed people calling it double fold binding. It is a French seam way to finish edges. I still do French seams when I make pillow cases. As times change people call things what makes sense to them, sometimes they catch on, sometimes they don’t.
ckcowl is offline  
Old 03-20-2020, 12:25 PM
Super Member
juliasb's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Waterford Michigan
Posts: 7,240

I looked at the 'double fold binding' and said to myself this is nothing new. I would sew up slacks with this binding and jackets too back in the 60's and 70's. Why the new name?
juliasb is offline  
Old 03-20-2020, 02:14 PM
Power Poster
Jingle's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Outside St. Louis
Posts: 38,096

I don't care for names to be changed. It will always be double fold binding to me. Others can call it whatever hey want.
Jingle is offline  
Old 03-21-2020, 02:25 PM
Super Member
toogie's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Southern USA
Posts: 1,579

I always thought double fold binding was bias tape folded twice.
A french seam is totally different.
Am I missing something?
toogie is offline  
Old 03-21-2020, 03:38 PM
Power Poster
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 40,936

I clicked on a YouTube video of Alex Anderson because it was on French fold binding. I like learning new things but when I watched it, it was ordinary double fold binding.
Tartan is offline  
Old 03-21-2020, 04:55 PM
Power Poster
nativetexan's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: home again, after 27 yrs!
Posts: 19,388

the French seam in clothing is very different. oh well, potatoes pototoes.
nativetexan is offline  
Old 03-22-2020, 10:04 AM
Power Poster
RedGarnet222's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Reno, Nv
Posts: 16,347

I think the confusion is that the double fold binding is an object that you use to make a French seam binding on a quilt. I have always heard it called a French seam binding too. It is kinda funny how there is also a French seam that you use to enclose all the raw edges to strengthen the finished garment. But, that has nothing to do with this binding technique.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 03-22-2020 at 10:07 AM.
RedGarnet222 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

FREE Quilting Newsletter