Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
double knit for quilting? >

double knit for quilting?

double knit for quilting?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
Originally Posted by Rosella
What is birthing as opposed to binding? I have never heard that term.

Rose Ella
that is when you put right sides together, sew around the sandwich , leaving an "opening" to turn it, then turn inside out and stitch the opening shut....
This is shown in some of the 'Quilt In A Day' books. Works well. Mom used this method.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by MissJMac
Personally, I have no use for double knit in quilts. HOWEVER, I would never refuse a fabric gift from anyone. I'd be afraid that if I refused, the friend would think twice about offering the next time (and the "next time" might be a boatload of 100% cotton). There are many things you could do with this fabric, if you choose not to use it yourself: pass it on to someone that does use double knit; to a church group or local guild that make quilts for Vets, Children's Hospitals and nursing homes.
There's a market out there for this fabric
Mom made tons of quilts for Boliva[ orphan children]. She always took whatever material was offered. Sometimes it was just double knit, a few times 100% cotton;always with a smile and very warm welcome.She used lots of different types of cloth; not usually mixed in the same quilt. Never was her scrap bag empty. She always was amazed at how many quilts she made but the scrap pile never seems to get smaller. I know , 'GOD' BLESSED.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:36 PM

Your cathedral quilt is so pretty, like the colors.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:38 PM

My mother-in-law hand-stitched a grandmother's garden quilt in king-size. That's the pattern with all the hexagons. By the time she finished it, backed it with a sheet and tied the quilt, it was so heavy that I could only use it to cover the wrought iron railing around the steps in my split foyer house. It was great for padding to protect my baby's head when he toddled into the rails, but we got leg cramps from trying to sleep under it.
Use it for things like placemats or table runners...far too heavy for anything else!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:43 PM

I would not turn it down. I haved used it for charity quilts and kennel quilts/pillows. For kennels make beds (lg square then stuff with scraps, batting strips, old t-shirts etc...). Charity quilts just use sheet or light blanket for backing.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:38 AM

Double Knit is excellent for quilts. I made one for my daughter when she went away to college. She is 53 years old and still uses the quilt. I also used double knit for the backing and flannel for the batting. Very warm, washes very good and if you use bright colors, very pretty.

Originally Posted by deedum
Would you turn down an offer of tons of double knit fabric? A friend has offered to give me some and while I prefer cotton, I still think there is room for double knit in the quilting world. What do you think? Should I get it or would you pass? Would they work for charity lap quilts? They would certainly be warm. What about backing with bluejean material as the top? Any ideas?
Old 06-01-2011, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by nhnative
The charity group that I belong to that makes the polyester quilts, we cut the backing a few inches longer than the top then we fold it over the top to make the bound edge and then top stitch it. Then we tie it rather than quilt it.
Exactly what I have in mind.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:58 PM

Umm I would have to pass it on don't wear it or sew with it.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:09 PM

I would say take it.I've used it in quilts for the homeless and they are very warm.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:03 AM

My grandmother made double knit quilts in the 70s when that fabric was popular. I still have one and it is the warmest thing ever! I can also tell you what outfits we each had out of most of the fabrics...a warm, cozy, trip down memory lane!!