Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Double knit -what do you think

Double knit -what do you think

I shared with you the pics of some fabric scores I had recently- some great cottons. Now one of the daughters from the garage sale has contacted me that there is a ton of fabric left and they are free if I want them. The majority of the fabric is double knit which I passed on because I wore so much of this stuff while growing up. Are there uses for this fabric other than the tied, square quilts? Ideas? Like pet beds and how they are made??? I did email the guild near them asking if they could use some. But I am hoping you might have some suggestions otherwise the fabric will go to the dump.

My mom, being the frugal person she was , made many quilts using double knit, in all different patterns. She then had them machine quilted and they were beautiful. Her kids and grandkids were the happy recipients of these quilts.

Power Poster
    There are some double knit quilts here on QB that are really great. See if you can find them with the search feature. I would think that would make good pet blankets. Even just 2 large squares sewn pillowcase style and machine quilted would do great for the animal shelters. There is a link to a great pet bed on QB that uses fleece circles. It might work for double knits too. I used double knit to make chair cushions that I stuffed. They can be cut into strips for crocheted floor rugs.

One of my friends makes rugs with double knits. She cuts a base of canvas and cuts the double knit into squares and folds them in half and then sews the triangles overlapping slightly in concentric circles on to the canvas.

I have made quilts with doubleknit, they are still good after 30 years of family use. I made a bunch of braided throw rugs. I sewed the braids together with dental floss. They washed in the washer and wore like iron too.
    Mary

I always hate to hear of fabric being literally thrown out. Maybe there is a church near you that can use the fabric, or even taking to Goodwill....even if is something that won't/cannot be sold, they send the materials off to be reprocessed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patchsamkim View Post
    I always hate to hear of fabric being literally thrown out. Maybe there is a church near you that can use the fabric, or even taking to Goodwill....even if is something that won't/cannot be sold, they send the materials off to be reprocessed.
    definitely don't let them throw it out - patch had the right idea = donate to a thrift store if no other charity can be found
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Banned
    I would grab the double knit and then decide what to do with it. Goodwill or church thrift shop are always possibilities. There is a program called "Ugly Quilts" where sleeping bags are made for the homeless.
    It can have multiple uses. - picknic blakets etc.

We have also made rugs with knits, they last forever. DH made me a "Garden quilt" out of big pieces of knit, to cover the garden when a frost is coming.

The ugly quilt idea is great suggestion. The double knit quilts that I have found have been durable and tend to repel water better than a cotton quilt .... perfect for use in the outdoors. I have made dog quilts for a local shelter out of rejected fabric .... the dogs (and cats) love to curl up on something with a human smell!

These double knits make fabulous durable braided rugs! or the "toothbrush" rugs . Because the color is in the fiber prior to being knit, when weaving, braiding , or other methods of rug making , they have great colors through out.

You could probably also use double knit, instead of batting. From what I remember, it can be pretty warm!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I make giant stuff sacks with double knits. These are used to hold a sleeping bag, pillow and small blanket for campers or as laundry bags for kids heading off to college. I use my biggest pot lid to draw a circle for the base, make the sides the full width of the fabric, stitch in a top casing and drawstring and you have the most durable bag ever. They have survived canoe trips to Algonquin Park and being dragged down dorm hallways and across rough parking lots.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Double knit is great for backing on wheel chair lap quilts because it isn't slick and will stay on the patient's lap. I also will withstand comercial laundry in nursing homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    One of my friends makes rugs with double knits. She cuts a base of canvas and cuts the double knit into squares and folds them in half and then sews the triangles overlapping slightly in concentric circles on to the canvas.
    I make these rugs too. They are very comforting on tired feet!!

Blog Entries
    find a local (MY BROTHER'S KEEPER) Group- they make what are called *Ugly quilts) for the homeless- those fabrics would be wonderful for them! polyester double knit wears like steel! will hold up and be warm- there are groups all over the country- you can contact the main group *located in new york* and find out where there is a local group- or somewhere else where donations can be sent
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Our local nursing homes love quilts made with double knits. If it is a plain color and no print, then I applique flowers or whatever on them. They can be boiled and will never wear out. The man in our group does not sew but he loves to tie quilts so we had him tie them.