Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: double knits

Blog Entries

double knits

Does anyone have experience using double knits for quilts? I have found two tops at a flea market made of polyester knits.

I was thinking it would make a good receiving blanket. My mom just gave me a 1 yard piece. I thought I would put the silk binding around it and call it good.

Many of these were made in years past. They are heavy, warm and last forever! Only down side for me is that they are not very soft to the touch.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have a double knit quilt. It's kind of an hourglass pattern my Mama hand pieced at least 30 years ago. It weighs a ton, is tougher than Kevlar and the warmest quilt I own.

Some poly knit flower garden pieces were donated to our group so we made lap quilts for the nursing home. We pieced them and used poly backing w/o batting and they were pretty. They should last forever. Just spread the word you want donations and all kinds of stuff appears. What fun!!!

Blog Entries
    Very warm and they wear like iron!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I have alot of double knit quilts. I didn't make them, my DH's mother and sister did. They are alot warmer. They did these all by hand.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies. The one that I found will fit a twin size bed and was hand pieced in many different colors of fabric. Name:  flea market treature may 2013 - Copy (1024x575).jpg
Views: 221
Size:  484.0 KB
    Last edited by cajunowl; 06-01-2013 at 05:37 AM.

That's a beautiful quilt top! It will last forever!

Quote Originally Posted by cajunowl View Post
    Does anyone have experience using double knits for quilts? I have found two tops at a flea market made of polyester knits.
    How much were they asking. I found a 9 patch at a thrift store the other day------a bit bigger than baby sized adn they wanted $10. I passed. The woman at the store was bragging about it being hand made. I kept my mouth shut.

I'd pay maybe $5---------for DD to use camping or outside, but NOT for a quilt.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by cajunowl View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The one that I found will fit a twin size bed and was hand pieced in many different colors of fabric. Name:  flea market treature may 2013 - Copy (1024x575).jpg
Views: 221
Size:  484.0 KB

Hand pieced?????????? I'd think that would be hard with double knit. Sure is pretty to look at, though
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    I think I paid $10, I thought that was a bargain!

Blog Entries
    I bought placemats that had double knit "batting" in them. They seemed to be the perfect weight and I wanted to know what was in them so I took one apart. They were handmade (obviously!) and washed and dried wonderfully!

My mom left a large box full of already cut double knit pieces. I have made them into blocks and made my grandson a quilt out of some of them. Told him it was okay to take to the lake, to eat picnic lunch on, to carry in his car, whatever. He loves it!

I too have a couple of double knit quilts my Mother made... probably 40 years ago.
    Know what? They still look as good as the day she gave them to me, are very warm and durable. Go in the washer beautifully and I don't feel bad using them anywhere. Think you've got a good find. Enjoy them.