Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double-sided fusible for turned-edge applique? >

Double-sided fusible for turned-edge applique?

Double-sided fusible for turned-edge applique?

Old 06-28-2019, 05:22 PM

Question Double-sided fusible for turned-edge applique?

Is it possible to use a double-sided fusible of some kind for turned-edge applique? I’m hoping to avoid having my applique pieces look puffy particularly after the quilt is washed. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by lucyg; 06-28-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

What method are you using to turn the edge? If needle turn, a fusible might not give you the room to turn the edge under. I like to add quilting to larger appliqués like veins on leaves etc. to prevent puffiness.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
What method are you using to turn the edge? If needle turn, a fusible might not give you the room to turn the edge under. I like to add quilting to larger appliqués like veins on leaves etc. to prevent puffiness.
I’m moistening the edges with Best Press, turning them under, & pressing with my iron. Once assembled, I’m using a machine blanket stitch.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:12 AM

There are several great YouTube videos similar to your process, I use a paint brush and starch to moisten the edges and press but I use freezer paper for the shape(s). I’m not sure that double sided fusible would be the answer you are looking for. I’ll be following this post to see what others offer.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:35 AM

I’m beginning to think there must be a better way. If I tried to use a double fusible web of some sort I’d have to adhere it to the appliqué piece After I had the edges turned under.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-29-2019 at 06:55 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-30-2019, 05:11 AM

I use a single sided soluble fusible to turn my edges for machine applique. I would think double sided fusible would stick to your iron as you press it to turn the edges. I fuse my single sided fusible to the back of my piece. I use the Elmers school glue sticks and an orange stick (manicure tool) to turn my edges. I like the purple glue sticks the best so I can see the glue. I then attach the piece to my background with Roxannes glue baste it and machine stitch them down. This is the best way I have found.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
I use a single sided soluble fusible to turn my edges for machine applique. I would think double sided fusible would stick to your iron as you press it to turn the edges. I fuse my single sided fusible to the back of my piece. I use the Elmers school glue sticks and an orange stick (manicure tool) to turn my edges. I like the purple glue sticks the best so I can see the glue. I then attach the piece to my background with Roxannes glue baste it and machine stitch them down. This is the best way I have found.
Thanks for sharing! Which water-soluble fusible do you use? Do you prefer this to freezer paper? I’m just trying to think things thru here. 🤔
Old 06-30-2019, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lucyg View Post
Thanks for sharing! Which water-soluble fusible do you use? Do you prefer this to freezer paper? I’m just trying to think things thru here. 樂
I knew I needed to find what was "best for me".
Thus, I purchased several different types ... small pieces do not cost much for trial runs.
Be sure to label them in the store, so you know exactly what it is, when you want to re-buy.
I developed my own technique as I went along, changing my mind as to which was "best for me".
Plus it changed according to the size/shape of appliques I was doing.

It's been a while since I have done any, so sorry,
I cannot say which brands were my favourites.

Last edited by QuiltE; 06-30-2019 at 07:34 AM.