Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double Wedding Ring Baby Quilt >

Double Wedding Ring Baby Quilt

Double Wedding Ring Baby Quilt

Old 06-27-2012, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I tend to make my baby quilts from fabrics that aren't babyish. I also make them larger than a baby quilt. This way, the quilt can move on with the baby as it ages. I say "Go For It"!!!!
I agree, I like to make my baby quilts with more sophisticated colors/designs, so that the baby does not outgrow the quilt but grows into it - that way I know it will be used and enjoyed for a good long time.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:48 AM

It isn't that much work if you use the Rings that Bind method & arc tool by Cheryl Phillips. I plan to make a king size one for my son & his wife. http://www.amazon.com/Rings-That-Bin.../dp/0967789443 There used to be a tutorial on HGTV's web-site. If you all ready have the arc template--it's pretty easy to figure it out. I would use the smaller one for a baby quilt.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:44 AM

I always make baby blankets large enough to use on their toddler bed later. Any pattern design is apropiate for a baby in my mind. The Rings..could be arms hugging..that precious child...Circles of Love..
Old 06-28-2012, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaR View Post
Not sure I would want to put all that work into it for the baby to spit up on it. I make mine and tell the recipient that it is to be used and not just put away.
I totally disagree with this. I just made three baby quilts for two mommies. One was very simple and the other two were more elaborate(it was for a double baby shower of sisters. I knew one and not the other.) I made them around 40"s so that they can be used till they are 5 years old as snuggle blankets. Its not about the work that goes into the quilt its the thought. and who cares if the baby spits up on it. if you went by babies spitting up on things then they might as well not have anything other than white onesies that can be bleached and have nothing but white sheets because they can be bleached also. (what fun would this be). my friend who i made two baby quilts for she will be using them both and I don't care if they get destroyed. that is the best compliment for a quilter. a quilt used to death. especially the ones that are of heirloom thought and quality. ( I hope that this makes since).
Old 06-28-2012, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaR View Post
Not sure I would want to put all that work into it for the baby to spit up on it. I make mine and tell the recipient that it is to be used and not just put away.
I agree with Donna. It would be lovely in baby colors, but I like my baby quits to be loved and used and dragged around by a child, and I would NOT put that much work into something like that. Perhaps you could make a wall hanging with the date and names of the baby and parents in the center of the circles.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:36 AM

My granddaughter is 16 now. When she was born, I made her a bowtie in reds and white with a flannel backing. After a few years, they brought it back to me to be refurbished. The binding was in tatters and worn thin. I cut the edges back, put in new batting a a new flannel back and of course new binding. A few years later it came back again really tattered. I told them to retire that woobie and made her a rag quilt--larger in size to replace it. The moral of this story is that I knew it was being used and loved by Miranda.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:38 AM

This is what I have done so far, I have all my blocks made, next step is I need to blanket stitch all of them. Thank you for all your comments.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]346783[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc02016-%5B640x480%5D.jpg