Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Double wedding ring using fusible interfacing?

Double wedding ring using fusible interfacing?

It's a technique used by Eleanor Burns/quilt in a day....she uses quiltsmart printed fusible interfacing--she does a pieced one in her egg money book and also has a pattern using one fabric, rather than pieces in the arcs---nouveau wedding ring. Anyway one of the guilds I belong to is going to have a one day workshop on the technique the end of the month. Funny thing-funny, ha,ha and funny, peculiar, is when discussing this upcoming workshop at the meeting, it dawned on me that I have the patterns, templates in my sewing studio...so, after I watched the tutes on you tube and "found" all that need in my EB stuff, I'm planning on going and try by making a Tablerunner. Has anyone here tried this method and any hints, warnings? I'll let all know how my day goes!

I made this when I was a fairly new quilter. I did not use fusible---just regular. I really like it and hand sewed the arches to the background. I was a nanny and it is a very portable project. Here is my finished quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have not made a DWR quilt nor do I want to because of my lack of FMQ skills so I don't know anything about any of the processes. I do want to say how much I love them though and appreciate the work that goes into them. This one by luvstoquilt301 is spectacular!

In the fusible one you are talking about...what fuses to what? Is it done as QAYG?

I used EB's fusible method, not for a DWR, but for the Drunkard's Path. I liked the method, but I really had to use the chopstick to get those seams turned nice and smooth. My hand stitching is very poor and I didn't have a blanket stitch on my machine so I had to resort to a top stitch to secure it to the block. I didn't really get close enough to the edge, so when the quilt was washed the edges wanted to curl up. In hindsight, I should have used invisible thread and used a zz stitch. Or asked my daughter to stitch it down, her hand stitching is beautiful. LOL

I've done a DWR and the Bali Star Wedding Ring ... never used the fusible for either one of them. I think it would be too heavy? Just my thoughts, and it's heavy enough! LOL

Name:  IMG_1483.JPG
Views: 722
Size:  149.5 KB

Name:  Double Wedding Ring Quilt.JPG
Views: 723
Size:  135.8 KB

I have the Quiltsmart printed fusible for the grandmother's flower garden, it was a gift at a retreat quite a few years ago. I bring out the pack every now and then and look at it and put it away. It looks like layer upon layer of fabric and fusible because you appliqué the shapes on top of each other. Is the DWR Quiltsmart done like this as well? I just can't imagine trying to hand quilt through that.

Blog Entries
    I made a DWR quilt about 20 some years ago and I love it. I made it twin size and I use it as a table cloth during the summer. I made mine the old fashioned way and I hand quilted; that was when I didn't have arthritis in my thumbs. I will have to check on EB fusible patterns. They sound interesting.

Funny you should bring up this way of making a DWR because I've had the quiltsmart stuff for several years and am now just deciding to try it. I am in the process of cutting out over 2000 wedges. Have sewn one arc just as a trial and it seemed to go well. BUT.... that's not a whole block yet--so we'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
    I have not made a DWR quilt nor do I want to because of my lack of FMQ skills so I don't know anything about any of the processes. I do want to say how much I love them though and appreciate the work that goes into them. This one by luvstoquilt301 is spectacular!

In the fusible one you are talking about...what fuses to what? Is it done as QAYG?
    Quilting buddy----FMQ skill weak or strong should not deter you from trying something new........the modern quilt world is full of just horizontal/vertical straight line quilting.......

the fusible interfacing is sewn onto the either pieced or one fab arc--then turned right side out and fused onto the background square, and then secured either with a tiny zig-zag and invisible thread or blanket stitch...this way eliminating sewing melons and centers of the DWR.......
    the best thing would be for you to go toYouTube-quilt in a day, and watch EB demo.....

i have jumped ahead of the workshop and cut the wedges for the arcs today and actually sewed three together...tomorrow, Ill dothe Quiltsmart interfacing part! This will be a tablerunner.....

Blog Entries
    I bought the quiltsmart fusibles. I started to use them. I checked here for comments and made a sample. It wasted way to much fabric, imho. I made my own fusibles and enlarged my background squares. I liked the method just not the waste.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy Quilting.

I have a question for Marions quilts....are the black and red colors colorfast? I recently tried to get all the red out of a piece of fabric and it still bleeds after about 4 trys...

Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel023 View Post
    I bought the quiltsmart fusibles. I started to use them. I checked here for comments and made a sample. It wasted way to much fabric, imho. I made my own fusibles and enlarged my background squares. I liked the method just not the waste.
    Curious-how much bigger did you make the bkgrnd squares and the arcs?

Beautiful examples ladies! You have made me put a DWR on my bucket list!

I chose a VERY light weight interfacing stuff and drew the arches. I purchased a stencil made just for DWR and drew it with a washable pen. I have no trouble FMQ when I have a line to follow. I did SITD on the seam lines of each block first.

The blue triangles at the intersections are not lined up perfectly when you look at it up close. This was from a scrap bag bought at Keepsake quilting when I visited that beautiful shop.

I have made the Egg Money quilt as my third quilt, so only did a few, I think 3, DWR blocks. But it went together easily and I have thought of doing an entire DWR quilt this way. Good luck and have fun with it.

I made a DWR last year and used the fusible arc method. It went pretty fast and I am very pleased with the results.

I made a DWR using the fusible interfacing for the arcs, I have a booklet put out by Mary Henderson and Anne Dease. It explains the method. It went real fast. I am very pleased with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcsewer View Post
    I made a DWR using the fusible interfacing for the arcs, I have a booklet put out by Mary Henderson and Anne Dease. It explains the method. It went real fast. I am very pleased with the results.

Dont get rid of that booklet! Just went to search for it....prices on eBay $39-$45----wow!

then, found another source for $15.00, Crafty Lady...located in Australia, I live in Illinois, wonder how much postage on that would be! Anyone ever deal with this site?
    Last edited by Geri B; 06-20-2017 at 06:23 AM.

There is a new posting with a picture today, did you see it? https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...g-t289096.html