Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A doubleknit quilt

has any any one tried to quilt one

Blog Entries
    I think that type of quilt is usually tied, rather than quilted. The stretch of the double-knit would make machine quilting especially difficult. It might work to hand quilt using the "big stitch" method.

My husbands grandmother quilted them back in the 70's, made them just like a regular quilt. She hand quilted, they are almost indestuctable.lol

Blog Entries
    Someone on this board made a BEAUTIFUL one. I specifically asked about the quilting and she told me it was easy to quilt.

Here's the link for the one she did:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45760-1.htm

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My mom made one all by hand in the 1970's. It weighs a TON! It is the warmest thing ever. Not the prettiest, though.

thanks so much for the info

My grandmother did them and she hand quilted. My mother made several tops and I hand quilted those... surprisingly, it wasn't that bad..

Blog Entries
    We had one gifted to us and it was just the top...loved it and finally wore it out...wish I had another one...it lasted for a long time and through many washings...so easy to care for...great while the kids were growing up.

Blog Entries
    Here is Butterflywings post. She made a couple of very pretty ones. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-22163-1.htm :-D

My mom made a patchwork one for my son. She tied it. He used it until it was literally in shreds and still, he had a hard time parting with it. We had to have a ceremony for it, buried it in a small trash can with an American flag and took pictures.

I have a poly knit one i made and tied when i first started quilting, as soon as it starts getting chilly i dig it out. It is the warmest quilt to snuggle under.

I made a doubleknit quilt back in the 70s. I did a log cabin in the "flip&sew" method. QAYG type. It isn't all that pretty, but it sure does keep you warm. (use it in our unheated cabin) It was easy to work with. I did a lot of doubleknit clothing back then, so had lots of scraps. Would do it again.

I have a double knit one from my grandmother, made from old clothing from the 70's. It is still my favorite quilt, because it is so warm and virtually indestructible. It is simple squares in an Around the World pattern. Love it!

I made 2 and have another one pieced and ready to sew. The first one I used a sheet blanket as backing and tied it with yarn. the 2nd one I use a sheet as backing and stiched in the ditch. I made these in the 70's and have had the 3rd one waiting since then.

Blog Entries
    My grandmother made quilts from double-knits. They were pretty but heavy and so warm. If you had more than one quilt on the bed, it was all you could do to just turn over. LOL!

I have never made one with knit, we did have some big pieces we sewed together to make a quilt for the garden on those frosty nights. Works great, doesn't blow away like plastic.