Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Downy Quilt Kit

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mid Tennessee
    Posts
    800
    I ordered one!! I am so excited, I have 6 weeks to complete. Anyone know if they give you a pattern you must use??

    you can order one here...
    http://www.quiltsforkids.org/patterns/request/

  2. #2
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    They precut the kits, and give you a pattern to follow.
    You will have a lot of fun with it :D:D:D

  3. #3
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,667
    Blog Entries
    194
    yes, they give you a pattern and the fabric (you have to buy the batting and thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
    I ordered one!! I am so excited, I have 6 weeks to complete. Anyone know if they give you a pattern you must use??

    you can order one here...
    http://www.quiltsforkids.org/patterns/request/

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mid Tennessee
    Posts
    800
    what kind of batting should I use??

  5. #5
    Super Member Ms Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,842
    Blog Entries
    28
    I used Warm & White on the one I just finished. :-)
    I'm getting ready to order another one today.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mid Tennessee
    Posts
    800
    Did you zig the seams? Im guess these will be washed alot.

  7. #7
    Senior Member HeatherQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    646
    They will send you a pattern with your kit. They also ask you to send in another one that you have made. (it's optional though)
    I have yet to do mine.... :oops: :oops:
    Going on my list now!! Right on top!

  8. #8
    Super Member Ms Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,842
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
    Did you zig the seams? Im guess these will be washed alot.
    I didn't zigzag my seams.
    When the top was completed, I did an all-over stippling with my Juki. I know it will stand up to alot of washing with all the quilting I did on it. ;)

  9. #9
    Super Member belmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,874
    They send a pattern with the fabric. I used warm n natural batting. I also made my own binding. They want you to wrap binding from the back to the front, and I do not like to do my binding this way. Still it's alot of fun making one, and it's a rewarding feeling.

  10. #10
    ToucanSam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,163
    I've done a couple of them. By the way, they prefer that the binding be done by machine, as they assume they will be used and washed frequently.

    Have fun! It's a quick and fun quilt to make. :)

  11. #11
    Super Member quiltinghere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Longarm Quilter NW Indiana
    Posts
    3,489
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherQuilts
    They will send you a pattern with your kit. They also ask you to send in another one that you have made. (it's optional though)
    I have yet to do mine.... :oops: :oops:
    Going on my list now!! Right on top!
    Don't feel bad Heather - I just opened the two kits that I've had for a long time. Shame on me too :(

    Then the power went out so I was stopped again.

    I'm going to work on mine and will try to have them done by next weekend. The next few days are already booked with appointments and promises.

    My excuse was that I wasn't confident to make them but I'm feeling more confident now. Just finished the flannel baby quilts using the 'birthing' method and it turned out GREAT! I even quilted it myself! :thumbup: So I'll finish the Downey ones the same way.

    How about it Heather - gonna work on your quilt(s) too?

    :thumbup: :lol:

  12. #12
    Senior Member HeatherQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherQuilts
    They will send you a pattern with your kit. They also ask you to send in another one that you have made. (it's optional though)
    I have yet to do mine.... :oops: :oops:
    Going on my list now!! Right on top!
    Don't feel bad Heather - I just opened the two kits that I've had for a long time. Shame on me too :(

    Then the power went out so I was stopped again.

    I'm going to work on mine and will try to have them done by next weekend. The next few days are already booked with appointments and promises.

    My excuse was that I wasn't confident to make them but I'm feeling more confident now. Just finished the flannel baby quilts using the 'birthing' method and it turned out GREAT! I even quilted it myself! :thumbup: So I'll finish the Downey ones the same way.

    How about it Heather - gonna work on your quilt(s) too?

    :thumbup: :lol:
    What is the "birthing" method? Sounds...interesting (especially because I'm pregnant! lol)
    I am making my list of all my UFO's/WIP's, and it's a LOT longer that I would like!! I will work on the QFK's right after I finish a table runner for the 4th of July. I have so many projects! UUUGGHH!!!
    :lol:

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mid Tennessee
    Posts
    800
    do we have to do a binding?? I was thinking of turning mine inside out and serging the ends. I am not good at binding.

  14. #14
    Rexene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Richland, MI
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
    do we have to do a binding?? I was thinking of turning mine inside out and serging the ends. I am not good at binding.
    Yes, you can do the pillow type of finishing.

  15. #15
    2wheelwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    879
    Pillow finishing will work fine. They just want to avoid hand sewn bindings as they may catch on the IV lines and other tubes and such around the bed.

    I've got one I need to finish also.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mid Tennessee
    Posts
    800
    Ic so pillow finishing is the perfect option then!

  17. #17
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    Have a great time when you get it. They are fun to do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.