Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Downy Quilts for Kids - Need Advice!!!! >

Downy Quilts for Kids - Need Advice!!!!

Downy Quilts for Kids - Need Advice!!!!

Old 04-20-2010, 04:51 PM

I have a top done, but it is not quilted yet. I am in the process, but I am very slow. I plan on sending back just the one quilt right away since I have been waiting for nice weather for so long. This is the first year in the past 5 I feel well enough to enjoy it.

I plan on making a couple more now that I have their pattern and send them as I finish. It won't be in the 5 or 6 week period though. Unfortunately I'm sure they can use them any time!
Old 04-20-2010, 04:54 PM

Justwannaquilt, thanks for the pattern link. I think I can manage that. Just curious. If you want to make another quilt, can you use any pattern you want? Also, those of you who have made them, how do you do the binding....ummm....also, it specifies low loft batting. Would warm and natural fit the bill? Or do they want polyester as it is lighter? Sorry so many questions, I just want to get it right.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:05 PM

you can use any pattern you want.
I just did normal binding you can finish it by machine as long as there is not a large lip on the back where it could get caught on an IV line or port or anything!
I use Warm and Natural in everything I do even these. The directions I have says use only 1/8 - 1/4 inch low loft batting. I don't see why you couldn't use W&N.

I know from my many stays in the hospital they are not always the warmest places to be. While I was in the hospital for several weeks I used a hair blowdryer to keep warm! lol
Old 04-20-2010, 05:15 PM

I know they would be thrilled if you finished the kit they sent you. The Downy folks are paying for these kits. Buy their products! It's such a nice cause and I bet it serves more and more because folks like you and I are contributing time and talent. Together, we can make a difference.

I think I read the extras would be appreciated, but they're not mandatory. Do what you can. I'm sure anything will be appreciated. They're not going to toss your quilt if you only send one. That would be ridiculous.

If you can't commit to finishing their kit (you'll need backing, batting and basic quilting skills) then you might want to find another way to help out. Or find some friends that have those talents and make one together. Whatever way you slice it, it's a wonderful cause and the Downy folks make it even easier with their generous donations of kits.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
Justwannaquilt....where is the pattern you got. I want to compare it to the one I got.
http://www.quiltsforkids.org/images/...lt_Pattern.pdf
Old 04-20-2010, 05:30 PM

I just got my quilt from Downey a week ago.It took me one afternoon to put it together. (The Top) At the time I ordered it I did not know I needed surgary so last Friday I went under the knife. I did call the # on the letter I got from them and told them I will not be able to sit for a few weeks and they were more then kind about it.The fabric is cut for you an it is very easy. I plan on making more when able.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:42 PM

Do any of you use the "pillowcase" method of finishing? or machine sew the binding or hand sew?
Old 04-20-2010, 05:45 PM

you'll need backing, batting and basic quilting skills

I just finished my first one and it came with the backing.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:59 PM

I have the will, and the basic quilting skills, and the batting, now I can hardly wait to get the kit!
Old 04-20-2010, 06:13 PM

Hi Nursie: I just finished my first QFK. They ask for no hand sewing because the quilts are washed so often. I pulled the backing around to the front and used that as the binding. First time I've ever done that but it was pretty easy. I can't make another one either right now because I don't have any "kid" fabric. Will do one another time tho. Go for it--they're quick and easy. Good luck.