Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Downy Quilts for Kids - Need Advice!!!! >

Downy Quilts for Kids - Need Advice!!!!

Downy Quilts for Kids - Need Advice!!!!

Old 04-21-2010, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by nursie76
Do any of you use the "pillowcase" method of finishing? or machine sew the binding or hand sew?
I do the pillowcase. It does get confusing, so I took a piece of fabric and the batting and the backing and made me up a little tiny sample so I don't get confused anymore (duhhhhhh)! Anyhow, it does work for me seeing it there and I just have to follow the setup of the fabric. Anyhow, do not, I repeat DO NOT hand sew any of the quilt whatsoever. The hand sewing can get caught in IV stuff and can pull. That is why you machine sew absolutely everything. You can sew in the ditch or you can make up your own quilting design. Also for anyone that is interested, there are chapters around the United States and I do my quilts through Racine Wisconsin. The quilts don't go the Pennsylvania. They stay here in the Midwest. The head of the chapter there is a priceless treasure for QFK. She sends out two quilts at a time and we can do them and if we have the time we can make one of our own to add to that. We try to get them done as soon as possible, but if it is veritably impossible she is very understanding. Right now I am in the throes of finishing up a cancer quilt for a raffle and we are having ice dam damage taken care of starting this coming Friday, plus a new roof - so she understands about things like that. Edie
Old 04-21-2010, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

i put together the kit they sent, and made 3 more in an afternoon...the kit they send is VERY USER FRIENDLY and the pattern is easy....the next day i quilted all 4...the next day started bindings...all together i probably spent a week on 4. and they do not take alot of fabric...they are small; but if you are not able to make an extra just send back the one they send in kit form they are not going to refuse it because you were not able to include a second one, and some of us are doing more than one extra so we make up for those who are not able.
have fun, you will probably find that you can 'whip these up in no time'
Old 04-21-2010, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

I'm mailing my Kids quilt today. So far I've only made the quilt from the kit I received. I added a small pocket on the front. Kids love little spaces to stick treasures.

Pocket is the little yellow patch off center.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]55971[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-55971.jpe  
Old 04-21-2010, 04:58 AM

Thanks everyone for the input! I am getting more and more excited about this endeavor! I can hardly wait til the kit gets here.

Bellaboo - Your quilt is adorable.

Edie - I checked, but there isn't a chapter close to me here in PA. I wonder if there would be a way to contact one of them here in PA anyway and work through them.

Amma - thanks for the tip about a blanket stitch, I was worried about how to eliminate the "lip" when machine sewing the binding if I didn't decide to "pillowcase" it.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:03 AM

The request for an additional quilt is just that--a request which would be nice. I'm sure they appreciate anything you do.

The kits I have been sent (6 so far this year) have all been 4 patch. But if you check their website, there are downloadable patterns for nine patch, d9p, pinwheels and the downy patern. They are fast and simple. All 6 of mine have been completed within the 4-6 weeks timeframe and I have done a matching one from my stash each time. I enjoy having something simple to work on when I get exasperated with my larger quilt project.

Good luck
Old 04-21-2010, 05:05 AM

Hi! I've made 2 quilts from their kits. They are simple to piece. If you can't get around to adding your own quilts within the requested time that's ok. Anything you contribute will be appreciated.

leftover from doll clothes!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]54728[/ATTACH]

from Quilts for Kids kit
[ATTACH=CONFIG]107166[/ATTACH]

Baseball fabric was a deal on Ebay
[ATTACH=CONFIG]107167[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-54728.jpe   attachment-107161.jpe   attachment-107162.jpe  
Old 04-21-2010, 05:12 AM

Love the baseball fabric, now that I think about it, there is a place in Lancaster that had a barn type building with discounted fabrics...I think $3.95 a yard. I will have to check it out.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

I think one thing to remember if making extra quilts to send be sure the fabric is good quality to stand up to frequent washings in hospital washers. It would be sad for a child to see their quilt faded, or pulled from the stitches after a few washings. I was very impressed with the quality of the fabric in the free kits.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I think one thing to remember if making extra quilts to send be sure the fabric is good quality to stand up to frequent washings in hospital washers. It would be sad for a child to see their quilt faded, or pulled from the stitches after a few washings. I was very impressed with the quality of the fabric in the free kits.
Good point. These fabrics in Lancaster were by Moda, Kauffman and other well know fabric makers, just past years designs etc.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by nursie76
Thanks everyone for the input! I am getting more and more excited about this endeavor! I can hardly wait til the kit gets here.

Bellaboo - Your quilt is adorable.

Edie - I checked, but there isn't a chapter close to me here in PA. I wonder if there would be a way to contact one of them here in PA anyway and work through them.

Amma - thanks for the tip about a blanket stitch, I was worried about how to eliminate the "lip" when machine sewing the binding if I didn't decide to "pillowcase" it.
Check out "Chapters" in the Downy website. Pennsylvania has seven chapters. Check that out also. There may be one closer to you. Have fun. Edie