Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Downy quilts for kids offer - or use your stash. >

Downy quilts for kids offer - or use your stash.

Downy quilts for kids offer - or use your stash.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:49 PM

The kits are fun to make, then send back with a quilt or two from your stash.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:53 AM

I've done several for this organization as well. They are local to me so getting kits from them is easy as well as the return. My LQS also hosts a monthly QFK sew-along. I've yet to be able to make it for that hope to one of these days. Yes, they do require machine quilting but it doesn't have to be anything spectacular. I'm a hand quilter so all I do on these is straight line machine quilting - either in the ditch or diagonal cross-hatching - and they are pleased as punch with it.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fred singer View Post
sounds like a great idea, but I just tie my quilts.
The guidelines says no tied quilts. Tied quilts can be a hazard to small children. I would ask where the tied quilts end up before I kept sending them. Always be sure to read the requirements for donation quilts. We may think it's picky but there usually is a safety or legal reason for the rules.
Quilts must be machine pieced and machine quilted with lots of quilting (not hand-tied or hand-quilted). Kits include the fabric for the top, the backing, the pattern and the QFK label. You will need to provide the batting (low-loft 1/8” – 1/4” poly or cotton).

I have made many of the quilts from the kits. The fabrics in the kits are so cute. I can make two quilts from on kit by adding fabric from my stash.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:11 AM

It's a great organization. I have made many quilts for them. I have gotten kits but have put together at least 25 out of my own stash. I have a stack of 12 "kits" I put together from my stash for myself and a friend to work on sitting here behind me right now.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!