Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Downy Quilts for Kids Question

Was wondering what kind of batting should be used in these quilts. A couple of us in quild have received some kits and the directioins don't list type of batting. One of the gals has gotten one all together and used low-loft ployester, should that matter?

Thanks for any input.

Blog Entries
    I think cotton would be more practical for the frequent washings these will get, but I do believe I've read that people use poly. I generally use Warm & Natural or Warm & White.

All I remember from when I did mine was that it said to make sure you used low loft. Hope that helps.
    Brooke

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseB
    Was wondering what kind of batting should be used in these quilts. A couple of us in quild have received some kits and the directioins don't list type of batting. One of the gals has gotten one all together and used low-loft ployester, should that matter?

Thanks for any input.
    I'm friends with the founder of Quilts for Kids. She is wonderful! The organization requests low loft poly or cotton or a poly/cotton blend, no thicker than 1/4 inch.

Here is their fact sheet>>http://www.quiltsforkids.org/faq/

Blog Entries
    It's a wonderful cause. Blessings to all who give of their time and talents.

I just got my second one to do delivered today! I only use cotton batting as I fear the poly would melt if washed in the hospital laundry!

Thanks so much everyone.

I had that question earlier this year. They are ok with anything that is low loft and machine wash/dry.

I work at headquarters. We usually recommend a cotton or poly/cotton blend, low-loft batting. I usually use a cotton batting such as Warm and Natural or Warm and White but have also used their Warm Bond batting.

Blog Entries
    POLYESTER BATTING DOES NOT MELT IN THE WASHING MACHINE OR IN THE DRYER. you can successfully use poly batting in any project you want. some people like it better than cotton because it does not 'hold' folds/ creases; it does not shrink, wears like steel and will hold up through years of washing! of course, as with any batting, not all are created equal; purchase a quality batting and you will have a quality outcome doesn't matter if it's poly, cotton, wool, bamboo, or the really new cool ones that are green batts...they are like putting a layer of fleece in your quilt! all of them wash up nicely!

Blog Entries
    i'm with you - i always thought poly was good for anything. and could be quilted farther apart. as for polyester melting - back in the 70's i wore a LOT of poly and ironed/pressed and none of it ever melted on the ironing board or in the dryer.