Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Drafting a pattern on a grid >

Drafting a pattern on a grid

Drafting a pattern on a grid

Old 09-27-2020, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

Default Drafting a pattern on a grid

I can figure out how to draft a pattern for most block patterns that are on a grid and how to assemble them. Still use graph paper, pencils/pens, and erasers/whiteout.

There is something about the drawing process that helps me figure out how to put a block together - especially since i became aware of the partial seam technique. Definitely worth while knowing.

I am wondering if EQ and other design programs have helped or hindered one's ability to "see" blocks in a finished quilt?

Do beginner quilt classes include how to make templates now? (The last one I attended did not include that. The very first quilt making class - where we hand sewed the block pieces together - it was touched on. As did the book "Quilts! Quilts! Quilts!)

I highly recommend that book - of the many that I have - I think that one has been one of the most informative.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

I also spend time with graph paper and pencils to design quilts and figure out blocks- it’s the only way I can keep a quilt framed within the size I want it to be. I’ve found a few ( on line) classes where you are taught to make templates but it seems like that is becoming harder to fine.
my son in Kentucky, who started sewing/ piecing in March after losing his job due to the pandemic has become quite good at figuring out blocks on graph paper and creating his own patterns when he spends a few hours figuring out how to make a block he often then creates a pattern for it so it’s easy next time.
he told me last week when he sketches out a new quilt then shows his wife she ( doesn’t get it- cannot envision what it will look like) he says he “ Sees in Color”
Old 09-27-2020, 01:37 PM

I have never used draft paper but I have drawn a lot in EQ. When I am practicing in EQ, I will frequently see if I can draw out a complicated pattern as seen on the internet or in a book. EQ makes me look for the block. At first, I was very confused by a pieced sashing. What works for me is to save a copy of an image I like. Then I bring it into Paint and enlarge it until I can see the details up close. Then I draw lines where I think the blocks are. Sometimes It takes me more than once. Most times I can figure it out quickly. EQ has many blocks in them. If I just knew the names, I wouldn't be doing as much drawing, but, then, I wouldn't get all the practice.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:09 PM

I still use graph paper. I keep trying to learn EQ- started with 7 then upgraded to 8 to see if that would be any more intuitive, but keep getting frustrated with having to deal with EQ blocks, esp. since I don't often want to use their blocks.

Rob
Old 09-27-2020, 05:15 PM

my beginner class mentioned doing drafting of blocks, and the beginner class I teach does that by teaching common block units (HST, FG, strip piecing, DP) and have them "design" their own block with those. I use both graph paper and EQ8. While you can pull blocks or quilt lay-outs from their libraries, you can also design your own. Because it uses a CAD type program (simplified you really are drafting out the block or quilt--just on a computer. I'm looking forward to taking EQ8 classes online at the QuiltCon so I can get better at using it for designing modern quilts.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
I still use graph paper. I keep trying to learn EQ- started with 7 then upgraded to 8 to see if that would be any more intuitive, but keep getting frustrated with having to deal with EQ blocks, esp. since I don't often want to use their blocks.

Rob
I hear ya on that experience!!! I find EQ8 is easier to get into but for me, I’d have to use it everyday, just to retain enough to make it useful to me. I got as far as drafting two quilts with it. One a total custom layout, the other I reverse engineered a quilt I’d seen online and rebuilt it in EQ8. Scanned my fabrics in and scaled them so I could see the quilt with my fabrics. I have no idea how I did all that now, as I haven’t used it since. So I’m back to drafting out my quilt projects, or resorting to a pattern that I always have to amend for sizing. It really annoys me that I have it and all the supplemental books, but can’t find the time or manage to prioritize it to make it useful for me.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:30 AM

What a timely discussion. I took out the garden and found myself in the quilt room again, and totally unfamiliar with what goes on there. After pinning a ufo on the design board, I gave up and headed for EQ8. Where I became totally lost. All I want to do is a hunter's star. Where is that block?

I knew I had Deb Tucker's book, but where was it? After going through the books, once, I remembered that I have sometimes put the book or directions in a tub with the left overs of a project and neatly labeled it "scraps". So I carefully went through part of the stash. What a joy! It was like going to a new fabric store with all the money in the world. Everything there was free. I had already paid for it. Many treasures were discovered including 4 yards of border fabric that was hiding behind the Jinny Beyer stuff. I started over and went through the books again. There is was in plain sight.

So I've made the decision. I'm going to put Quilt Path on the Millie. I've found that I can't stand there and do free motion as my hips start talking to me. Also having trouble holding a needle for any length of time. Oh the joys of having another birthday.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:07 AM

I use graph paper all the time when I want to draw out a block. I always draw out the finished size and then just add 1/4" to each piece.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:57 AM

I love using my EQ8 to draw out my blocks and layout. Finally decided to take lessons as I knew there were much more to the program than what I was using it for. Check it out and maybe even take some lessons with Kari. She's very good at explaining how to do it plus she has a Facebook page for each lesson if you have any questions on a step plus she puts out a video where you can jump on and ask questions and then save the video for later to go back to. I'm glad I went for the lessons as now I know so much more.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:28 PM

I had the same problem with the EQ7 in trying to figure out how to use it and starting over trying to figure it out each time! EQ8 is much more intuitive to me(maybe average computer user). I do use the supplemental lessons books as references, but it seems I've gotten the hang of it much quicker (never happened with EQ7). .

Rob--I agree on the using for more modern quilts--I'm taking 3 classes virtually via QuiltCon in Feb on how to use EQ8 for modern & improv, etc. Hope it makes it easier to use for modern so that I can stop having to sketch it out and then try to figure out yard.age

Battleaxe--it does seem like sometimes EQ uses weird names for blocks. I think Hunter's Star is in the 8 pointed star section