Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dresden Plate Applique >

Dresden Plate Applique

Dresden Plate Applique

Old 02-13-2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by memathomas
on quilt for a day they sewed the a backing on the applique then turned it right side out and sewed it to the block i will watch it again and get back to you
mema
I am going to try this...I bought 36 D.P.'s on line and tried doing the buttonhole stitch on the raw edge...looks horrible. I'm going to take them all apart and buy thin fusible and applique them by machine. They are too precious to ruin...all very old fabric.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:15 AM

If she uses Heat'nBond Lite & trims away middle of shape just leaving a 1/4" outline to fuse, it wont be noticeable. It machine stitches easily. I've also used it lots and done hand stitching on it with no problem.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:47 AM

Several years ago I decided to start a charm quilt so I started cutting a 2.5" square of every fabric I had. From there I cut out a small heart and faced it with used fabric softener sheets. Sew around the heart with very small stitches, cut a slit in the back of the facing, turn it right side out and it's ready for hand or machine applique. A fun portable project. Of course, the fabric collection seemed to multiply overnight!!! I have several hundred hearts ready to go...they're in one of my WIP bins. One of these days...lol. My whole family was saving those used sheets for me. I still have a stack of them over a foot high. They do make a nice lightweight interfacing and best of all, they're free.