Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dresden Plate Block with round edges >

Dresden Plate Block with round edges

Dresden Plate Block with round edges

Old 06-30-2017, 04:29 AM

Default Dresden Plate Block with round edges

I made 12 plates with round edges and now I want them on the background fabric. I know that I read somewhere, (maybe Eleanor Burns), how to sew something on it and then turn it inside out. I'm not crazy about anything that would add extra weight and I tried the hand sewing. Trying to turn those round edges didn't look good. I've been trying to read everything I can on the Internet but mostly the plates have pointed edges. Can anyone give me suggestions as I'm trying to finish my UFOs. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

I have the same situation. I birthed the plates with a lightweight fabric. it adds a smidge of weight, but I think it's the easiest solution.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:55 AM

You could put your background fabric on the Dresdens with right sides facing, then machine sew around your circle. Pull them apart in the middle and cut the excess fabric from the center leaving a seam allowance. Then flip it right side out. Just be careful not to cut through your Dresdens. Should give you a perfect circle.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:55 AM

I generally just machine applique the Dresden plate down. You could use a fancy stitch or even just straight stitch as close to the edge as you can get.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic View Post
You could put your background fabric on the Dresdens with right sides facing, then machine sew around your circle. Pull them apart in the middle and cut the excess fabric from the center leaving a seam allowance. Then flip it right side out. Just be careful not to cut through your Dresdens. Should give you a perfect circle.

Thank you for this suggestion, I think this is what I saw years ago. I know I could sew it with invisible thread around the edges, but I really didn't want to do that this time. Thanks everyone.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

One can buy super light weight Pellon interfacing - either fusible or not fusible - to face the units.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:06 AM

I suggest this method: http://www.sewmuchlikemom.com/2013/0...ards-path.html

i find it much easier than using interfacing, you won't have the extra weight, and your circles will be perfect so long as you cut your freezer paper right.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:21 AM
Banned

Used dryer sheets work well, and are very light. Once you have turned and pressed, you can cut most of it away.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:47 AM

If your plate is solid circle, the flip and sew method would work, but if your plate has scalloped wedges, might be tricky. I read somewhere - a while back - from heat resistant Mylar, draw your template scallop and down about an inch that you used for fabric, then measure in 1/4" for the "finished" edge-- that's the line you cut this template out at. Hopefully when you joined the wedges, you stopped 1/4" from that scallop edge.....anyway...put this onto back side of each wedge, iron over, move to next.....then you can blanklet stitch, invisible thread stitch, or straight stitch onto background....it takes a bit of time, but whose in a hurry!
Old 06-30-2017, 05:52 AM

iPad would not let me edit this reply....so have to do it this way. Should be .........but who's in a hurry!