Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dresden Plate Out of Wack >

Dresden Plate Out of Wack

Dresden Plate Out of Wack

Old 06-21-2018, 04:40 PM

I like your friends's advice. No body died!

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I had this happen to me before. I had to make a couple more than what the pattern called for to have the Dresden lie flat. I used the provided pattern to cut the wheels according to the pattern and still it was short. The pattern did not say to use an eighth of a inch seam allowance. But, I think it would have worked if I had. No matter, I did what you did, made enough more blades to make it lie flat. Fortunately my blades were all just red and light red and the design was not interrupted, so I went with it.
After all, isn't quilting supposed to be a fun thing to do? As a late friend used to say, "No body died", right?
Old 06-21-2018, 04:57 PM

i always use 20 petals. Sometimes its a bit wavy but knce you applique the middle circle down, it lays flat. I pin every other petal down until the center is on.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:04 AM

I've made lots of Dresden Plates with Zimmerman's template and find that it requires 20 petals. They sometimes bulge slightly when I do the final seam, so I take them in or fudge to fit.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I made a 47” Dresden plate for the center medallion for a quilt. I used Marilyn Doheny’s 9 degree ruler. It makes the Dresden with 40 blades. I am now a qualified “volcano” reducer. Lol. Evidently I have a habit of starting out just fine, but as I approach the small end, I tend to move away from the 1/4” seam, which created the “volcano” in the middle. Now that I am aware of this, I draw my sewing lines on Dresden’s to avoid taming any other “volcano” issues.
I have not made a Dresden Plate but it is on my bucket list. I like your hint of drawing sewing lines on the blades to "tame the volcano" and am putting it in my hint file. Thank you for sharing!