Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Printed fabric about scouting

Blog Entries

Printed fabric about scouting

I have a grandson who has gone all the way to eagle scout and would love to make a quilt for him with all the different things he has been involved in growing up like sports. Gaining his eagle scout took lot of hard work but have not seen any fabric with any scouting symbols. Has anyone seen any fabric that I could buy? It seems like scouting is not as popular today for some reason which is a shame.

Banned
    Scouting fabric is out there. Quiltshops.com gives a few examples.
    http://search.myquiltshops.com/cgi-s...gi?thumbnails=

Cari

You might try Spoonflower. They have a huge selection of speciality fabric.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Riley Blake has a collection of Boy Scout fabric. Try fabric.com MSQC has some, too.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Blog Entries

Sending congratulations to your Eagle Scout.

My daughter made an Eagle scout quilt for my grandson about 3 years ago. She had no trouble finding fabrics for it. Try googling for Boy Scout fabric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeyes View Post
    I have a grandson who has gone all the way to eagle scout and would love to make a quilt for him with all the different things he has been involved in growing up like sports. Gaining his eagle scout took lot of hard work but have not seen any fabric with any scouting symbols. Has anyone seen any fabric that I could buy? It seems like scouting is not as popular today for some reason which is a shame.
    . I have Boy Scout charms that I got at msqc. N she had yardage. My gson is in scouts too
    I

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    My daughter made an Eagle scout quilt for my grandson about 3 years ago. She had no trouble finding fabrics for it. Try googling for Boy Scout fabric.
    Someone did produce a line of it around that time. I don't know if it's had a second printing or not, haven't seen any since then.

This is when print-on-demand shops come in handy.

JoAnns has boy scout fabrics in their stores. You can take a peek at it online.

I am also thinking about the quilt for my grandson who is working on his eagle now, building flower/herb boxes, finding metal shelving to give, and reupholstering 100 chairs for a group. We are helping him, the scouts showed up last week for the building of the 8 indoor boxes. They have to be stained yet. Great turn out and a very good bunch of boys.They also put the 4 metal shelves together. Now onto the chairs. He wrote a letter to a nationally known manufacturer of fabric and they donated 44 yards of vinyl for the chairs. We looked all day for the staples for the air compressor gun and tomorrow we will look at other places. His Mother wants me to make a T-shirt quilt and use all of his scout tees. I gathered all the scout fabric and want to make a quilt with that. Then he will graduate from high school and will need an extra long twin to take to college. So after we get the chairs done, I will attempt something in the way of a quilt. I have some idea but ...

Ragamuffin, you are blessed to be so involved with your family AND they are blessed to have you helping with projects and making quilts!

All 3 of our sons are Eagle Scouts and we have 2 grands about ready! There is a lot of scout fabric out there. I have made quilts with it.

Here's a different thought. For my son's Eagle Quilt, I made a Red White and Blue quilt using an eagle panel. He loves it. The problem I had with Scout fabric is that once they make Eagle, they are done with Scouting and on to bigger adventures. I wanted an accomplishment quilt that could be appreciated now and not for the past. But that was just tje vibe around here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    The problem I had with Scout fabric is that once they make Eagle, they are done with Scouting and on to bigger adventures. I wanted an accomplishment quilt that could be appreciated now and not for the past.
    While I can understand this sentiment, I would like to point out that not every scout who attains Eagle stops being involved in Scouting. In my son's troop, half of the adult leaders are Eagles. In the last couple years, of the dozen or so young men who earned their Eagle rank in our troop, 3-4 of them have returned to serve in some capacity, and there are a couple more who want to return when they're finished with their education or armed forces service.

More congratulations, here. And thanks, Peckish, for reminding us all that scouting can only continue with volunteers!
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

I also have a son who became an Eagle. It was 20 years ago and I still have not made him a quilt. I have a pattern called String Theory which is long columns of flying geese. He was a math geek so string theory fits but what I have been doing is collecting many fabrics for the geese that reflect his interests. I did find a fabric with the eagle badge on it a number of years ago. I was traveling work and have absolutely no I idea what shop it came from. It has been tucked away in a special "Patrick" box until I am ready to make his quilt. Perhaps this year for Christmas. So, I have been checking out the sites mentioned on this thread. Thanks for reminding me of my long term project for my Eagle.

Oldest son also an Eagle Scout. Congrats to the new Eagles and soon to be Eagles. (Did you know only 2 out of 100 boys who join Scouts will earn the Eagle?)
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
    Did you know only 2 out of 100 boys who join Scouts will earn the Eagle?
    And 3 out of 4 of America's leaders in business, religion, and politics are Eagle scouts.

I saw some at JoAnn's when I was there last week. It's in the licensed print section.
    Jeanie