Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dresden Plates On An Existing Quilt >

Dresden Plates On An Existing Quilt

Dresden Plates On An Existing Quilt

Old 10-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

I also would make a new quilt.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:26 PM

I would not apply them to an old comforter. I would use new fabric for the background.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to ask... Is this really what you want to do? Attach 20 beautiful, vintage, Dresdens that you have saved from a friend's mother's stash... to an old faded black comforter? Won't the black continue to fade in other places? Wouldn't you really rather make a nice new quilt out of them? Please forgive me if I am out of line... maybe the black comforter is nicer than what I envision from the description...
No, not at all. That is the problem, the comforter is in perfect condition except for the faded areas. The batting hasn't shifted, the material isn't thin and it is a warm cuddly comforter. If I were rich I wouldn't bother trying to improve the appearance of the comforter; I'd just pitch it and get a new one. There are many years left in this comforter so much I would like the ease of machine appliqueing I believe I willl go with what seems to be the majority opinion and hand sew them. Thank you so very much for your interest.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The edges of the Dresden Plates are finished and ready to appliqué on to a background. For me it would depend on how thick the comforter is. If it is really puffy, a FMQ design by machine is going to be difficult. I think I might just hand appliqué them in place since the edge is all ready to go.
Yes, unfortunately in this case, it is very puffy. I do believe I will just bite the bullet and hand sew them in place. I have them pinned in place now and both my DH and I love the look.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I also would make a new quilt.
That will come in time, but for now I need to rescue a perfectly good comforter and so I will be a good quilter and hand stitch the Dresden plates. Thank for your input, I very much appreciate it.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

Why not make a quilted comforter cover
Old 10-27-2013, 02:53 PM

I don't have comforters because of dust and allergies, but couldn't you make a duvet cover? They aren't quilted, I don't think. They are just buttoned on one side, or if you are ambitious, you could put in a long zipper.

Hugs,
charlotte
Old 10-27-2013, 03:17 PM

Ok you will hand sew these plates to the existing comforter......but you will have to quilt thru the whole plate which is now attached to that comforter......otherwise they may come undone......so hand or machine quilt thru the whole thing either by at least outlining the center circle or also maybe every third blade too...just to give it more stability
Old 10-28-2013, 07:20 AM

I knew I did the right thing by asking all of you because eventually it would get through my thick skull what the right thing to do would be. So at 1:30 this morning, I get some of my best ideas then, I decided that those suggestions about putting those beautiful Dresden plates on the comforter wasn't the smartest idea I ever had. I'm going to make a duvet cover for it and use the Dresden plates on something new that I can pass on to my son. Charlottequilts, you confirmed my decision. Once again thank you one and all for helping me figure out the right thing to do.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
I don't have comforters because of dust and allergies, but couldn't you make a duvet cover? They aren't quilted, I don't think. They are just buttoned on one side, or if you are ambitious, you could put in a long zipper.

Hugs,
charlotte
... or velcro