Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dresden Plates On An Existing Quilt >

Dresden Plates On An Existing Quilt

Dresden Plates On An Existing Quilt

Old 10-27-2013, 07:27 AM

Default Dresden Plates On An Existing Quilt

A friend gave me a large amount of fabric that were from her mother's stash. The fabric is from the forties and fifties. Buried in the pile were twenty Dresden plates. All hand stitched, raw edges on the blades and the center. They are gorgeous. I put each plate, wrong side down on a square of white fabric, turned it inside out and now have sharp finished blades. I then cut a circle to pick up the main color in each plate and sewed that to the center. I now have twenty gorgeous Dresden plates. I want to applique them to our black comforter which has signs of fading. So the plates would cover the faded places, but also make a beautiful new comforter. My question is; would you machine quilt the plates to the comforter? Would you hand stitch the plates to the comforter? It is a king size and working with on the machine will be a major feat, but sure would be quicker. If I FMQ the plates in place I wouldn't have to move the quilt so much and I'm thinking that would be more efficient. I will appreciate any and all suggestions.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:32 AM

Sounds like you really want this to happen. It also seems that this will be awfully difficult. I have no advice since I am not very handy with large pieces under the machine. Good luck. I look forward to reading what others will offer. And I am anxious to see the final product.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:35 AM

When I think of the comforter on my bed, I see a big, very thick thing with the batting as big blobs inbetween very sparse quilting lines....yes, it is destined to be replaced....so trying to machine sew anything onto a comforter would be difficult at best. Now if your comforter is in better shape, it might not be such a chore.....as much as I myself despise handsewing anything, I would think it best for your dresden plates.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

The edges of the Dresden Plates are finished and ready to appliqué on to a background. For me it would depend on how thick the comforter is. If it is really puffy, a FMQ design by machine is going to be difficult. I think I might just hand appliqué them in place since the edge is all ready to go.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
When I think of the comforter on my bed, I see a big, very thick thing with the batting as big blobs inbetween very sparse quilting lines....yes, it is destined to be replaced....so trying to machine sew anything onto a comforter would be difficult at best. Now if your comforter is in better shape, it might not be such a chore.....as much as I myself despise handsewing anything, I would think it best for your dresden plates.
I agree with Rose.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:51 AM

When you start the blanket stitch on a Dresden Plate it does not take very long by hand. It would take me a very long time to struggle with something that large and bulky on the machine.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

I think I would do it by hand. In the long run will probably be a lot less work and look better.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

I'm sorry, but I have to ask... Is this really what you want to do? Attach 20 beautiful, vintage, Dresdens that you have saved from a friend's mother's stash... to an old faded black comforter? Won't the black continue to fade in other places? Wouldn't you really rather make a nice new quilt out of them? Please forgive me if I am out of line... maybe the black comforter is nicer than what I envision from the description...
Old 10-27-2013, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to ask... Is this really what you want to do? Attach 20 beautiful, vintage, Dresdens that you have saved from a friend's mother's stash... to an old faded black comforter? Won't the black continue to fade in other places? Wouldn't you really rather make a nice new quilt out of them? Please forgive me if I am out of line... maybe the black comforter is nicer than what I envision from the description...
I'll join you Dunster, in asking for forgiveness too as I have been thinking much the same thing. I'd honour the original maker and create a new quilt much to the style that she would have made at the time.

Just goes to show ... UFOs are nothing new!
Old 10-27-2013, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I agree, I would make a new quilt!