Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Drop stitch length to zero? >

Drop stitch length to zero?

Drop stitch length to zero?

Old 09-30-2013, 06:16 PM

Default Drop stitch length to zero?

I want to free motion quilt on my domestic machine. I'd like to try with the feed dogs up but can't figure out how to get my stitches length to zero. I have a baby lock quilters choice machine. How do you drop the stitch like to 0? Shortest I can get this point is to .2
Old 09-30-2013, 07:28 PM

Hmmmm.....I'm unfamiliar with this machine. If it doesn't allow you to set it all the way to 0, and you don't want to actually lower the feed dogs, if you are going to use a supreme slider or other slippery mat over the dogs, it shouldn't tear the mat up and will keep the dogs from grabbing the quilt. You could use an index card taped other the dogs too.

Are you following Leah Day's recommendation to try leaving the feed dogs up to see if your tension is better? I know some do it that way. I lower mine. Though occassionally I have forgotten!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:34 PM

I wanted to leave the dogs up because of the tension issues you mentioned. I don't know why my machine won't let me drop to zero...
Old 09-30-2013, 07:59 PM

If you are using a hopping type quilting foot you can just leave your stitch length regular and work with feed dogs up. I have done this many times on my babylock machine which also does not allow zero stitch length.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by bjchad View Post
If you are using a hopping type quilting foot you can just leave your stitch length regular and work with feed dogs up. I have done this many times on my babylock machine which also does not allow zero stitch length.
So you leave your stitch length at like 2.5 and then just FMQ? Isn't there some drag on the quilt? You have not had any issues? I am so glad it wasn't just me unable to drop stitch length to zero and that it actually can't be done. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Banned

I don't understand the desire to leave feed dogs up. Their action goes against the theory and free action of free motion.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:21 PM

Do you not have access to a manual for your machine? I'm not familiar with it either. Is it a computerized machine, and if so, I'm wondering if you need to change to a different stitch in order to get the length to 0. One of my Brothers has 3 or 4 different straight stitch settings.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:24 PM

I Googled and found this, not sure if it's the correct machine. Does it help?

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/453...2.html?page=80
Old 10-01-2013, 02:00 AM

I have the BL Espire (which I think is the same machine?). I am not sitting in front of it, but I think the stitch length only drops down so far as you mention. Not loving my machine or bonding with it yet, I think it is a fussy brat . But I have done FMQ with it and do put the feed dogs down. It does fine, regardless of the stitch length. Piecing is another story on the monster...
Old 10-01-2013, 03:16 AM

That is an interesting question, I have the BL quilters choice as well. I tried this once and I did not think it worked, maybe you will find an answer, I am curious now.