Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Dryer after pre-washing?

  1. #1
    community benefactor collettakay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hyndman, PA
    Posts
    1,207
    The instruction that came with my fabric say to put it into the dryer until almost dry and then iron. I've always just ironed dry (smaller pieces though). Does anyone put their fabric into the dryer? I'd hate to ruin my beautiful new fabric :(

  2. #2
    Senior Member Roben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SW IA
    Posts
    900
    I don't unless it is a 3+ yard piece - otherwise mine always dried, even on air, with the wrinkles! The last batch we did (20+ yards of different blues) we only put the 4 and 6 yard pieces in the dryer on the air cycle and it worked out fine.

  3. #3
    Super Member zyxquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    So. California
    Posts
    3,806
    I put mine in the dryer on permanent press, and unless I'm using it right away, I dry it completely. Then whenever I am going to use it, I iron it using a spray bottle for the stubborn bits. :wink:

  4. #4
    Super Member vicki reno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,272
    I just toss them all in the dryer. I may not dry them for a real long time, but they all go in there and then I press them when they come out.

  5. #5
    mgshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,079
    Quote Originally Posted by vicki reno
    I just toss them all in the dryer. I may not dry them for a real long time, but they all go in there and then I press them when they come out.

    Me too!

  6. #6
    Super Member twistedstitcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,024
    My fabric almost always goes in the dryer, unless it's small pieces...those I iron dry. I dry my fabric completely in the dryer, then iron it and I"ve never had a problem.

    I found a site once with great directions for folding and storing fabric, but I guess I forgot to bookmark it. I'll try to explain it here.

    Fold the fabric selvedge to selvedge and press. Then fold again by bringing selvedges to the fold. I don't press again at this point. Measure 9" from the end and fold, continue folding by flipping the folded section until you get to the end. It's easy to tell how much fabric you have by counting the folds...four folds is one yard.

    It takes little extra time to do this but it really makes storing fabric neat and easy since each piece about the same height, just a different thickness depending on the yardage.

  7. #7
    Super Member Minda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,618
    I just toss them all in the dryer. I may not dry them for a real long time, but they all go in there and then I press them when they come out.
    Me, too.

  8. #8
    Super Member Rose Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Clay Springs AZ
    Posts
    3,228
    I dry mine but put a towel in with the fabric, that helps keep it from getting all tangled up.

  9. #9
    Super Member SaraSewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    AZ/Utah border
    Posts
    3,192
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
    My fabric almost always goes in the dryer, unless it's small pieces...those I iron dry. I dry my fabric completely in the dryer, then iron it and I"ve never had a problem.

    I found a site once with great directions for folding and storing fabric, but I guess I forgot to bookmark it. I'll try to explain it here.

    Fold the fabric selvedge to selvedge and press. Then fold again by bringing selvedges to the fold. I don't press again at this point. Measure 9" from the end and fold, continue folding by flipping the folded section until you get to the end. It's easy to tell how much fabric you have by counting the folds...four folds is one yard.

    It takes little extra time to do this but it really makes storing fabric neat and easy since each piece about the same height, just a different thickness depending on the yardage.
    Twisted stitcher: This reminds me of a rule-of-thumb that I used when I worked in a fabric store many years ago. If someone brought a bolt to the counter and asked how many yards were on it, instead of unrolling the whole bolt, I'd estimate: Every two rounds equal one yard. So if you are looking at the end of the bolt, and between you and the center cardboard are 6 rounds, you have approximately 3 yards. It's amazingly accurate.

  10. #10
    Super Member beachlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    6,753
    I usually put mine in the dryer, but on a nice windy day will hang them on the line - wind takes out all the wrinkles. I have never ironed mine while still wet. I usually wash all pieces as they come in the house, so they will be ready when I am ready to make something. I love to iron, so don't mind doing that before using.

  11. #11
    Power Poster sewnsewer2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    16,683
    I always put my fabric in the dryer. Never a problem.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    689
    I wash and dry everything. To me, there is no sense in wasting time sewing it if it isn't going to handle the washing and drying. Just my 'lazy' take on it :):)

  13. #13
    community benefactor collettakay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hyndman, PA
    Posts
    1,207
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I did put mine in the dryer to dry and they came out perfectly. I didn't even have to iron, just folded them until I'm ready to start that project.

    Its good to know I can do this :)

  14. #14
    Super Member Barb M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mission, BC
    Posts
    2,143
    I wash and dry everything, i dry it all the way, if it's gonna shrink in any way, i want it done before it becomes a quilt, i want the person using it to know they can safely wash it and dry it for many years.
    Twisted stitcher, i love your idea! :)

  15. #15
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,170
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy M
    I wash and dry everything. To me, there is no sense in wasting time sewing it if it isn't going to handle the washing and drying. Just my 'lazy' take on it :):)
    I almost never prewash, but if i do, i agree. if it can't take the heat i don't want it in my kitchen. :wink:

    Quote Originally Posted by collettakay
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I did put mine in the dryer to dry and they came out perfectly. I didn't even have to iron, just folded them until I'm ready to start that project.

    Its good to know I can do this :)
    sweetie ... you can do whatever YOU want. it's YOUR fabric. :wink:

  16. #16
    Catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    469
    cathy and barb, I agree with..tossing the fabric in the dryer..dry it! I want a quilt that is gonna hold up...so the fabric needs to be tested first!

  17. #17
    joannl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb M
    I wash and dry everything, i dry it all the way, if it's gonna shrink in any way, i want it done before it becomes a quilt, i want the person using it to know they can safely wash it and dry it for many years.
    Twisted stitcher, i love your idea! :)
    My sentiments, exactly!
    Jo

  18. #18
    Senior Member Missi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansas - north west corner
    Posts
    550
    I put it in the dryer to pre shrink. It is amazing how much the fabric will shrink. Different types shrink differently and when sewn together not prewashed you have problems.

  19. #19
    community benefactor collettakay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hyndman, PA
    Posts
    1,207
    I just didn't want to ruin it :cry:

  20. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NE Pa.
    Posts
    1,615
    MY fabric goes from the front door of my house to the laundry room. I do not do anything with it until it has gone thru the washer and dryer. If I think the colors might run I put it in hot water in a pan first and test it. I also use those "color catcher" sheets you can buy at the grocery store. Beats me, how they work but they do . Marge

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.