Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
DSM to LA...Can you Mix them? >

DSM to LA...Can you Mix them?

DSM to LA...Can you Mix them?

Old 07-07-2017, 09:45 AM

Default DSM to LA...Can you Mix them?

I've been plugging away at a queen size on my DSM with rulers for over a year. I've got all the ruler work done and some of the filler. It's taking forever and I'm getting fed up, to tell you the truth.

Is it possible to finish it on a LA? It is mostly filler and then the borders that need doing. Or would that look awful?

There is a place that rents LA's by the hour here and I'm thinking may be I could take it there.

I think this may never get done if I don't do something serious with it soon.

Comments?

Watson
Old 07-07-2017, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I've been plugging away at a queen size on my DSM with rulers for over a year. I've got all the ruler work done and some of the filler. It's taking forever and I'm getting fed up, to tell you the truth.

Is it possible to finish it on a LA? It is mostly filler and then the borders that need doing. Or would that look awful?

There is a place that rents LA's by the hour here and I'm thinking may be I could take it there.

I think this may never get done if I don't do something serious with it soon.

Comments?

Watson
yes, you could do it that way--there maybe some issues with the tension leading to some pleats or puckers so ask them to help with that.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

You may have to baste additional fabric to your backing so you have enough to attach to the leaders on the rack and attach the side clamps. LA requires more than DSM. I like an absolute minimum of 5" extra on all sides so I require the backing be a full 10" larger than the top in both length and width.

Also you don't say how you basted the quilt sandwich. If you spray basted with glue that may present problems but I can't say for sure. If you basted with pins, you will need to remove all of them before attaching to the rack. If you basted with thread, you shouldn't have any issues with it but it would also be advisable to remove those basting stitches.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Banned

I've done this with one baby quilt. I wanted to use a minky backing but my piece of minky was just barely bigger than the top. I thread basted the top to the back and basted around the edge, then sewed 8" muslin strips all the way around it, then pinned it to my LA leaders as if it were just one piece of fabric. I also trimmed the miky before adding the muslin. It quilted just fine and when I was finished I removed the muslin strips and basting threads before I bound it.

Cari
Old 07-07-2017, 02:57 PM

I spray basted it with 505. Is that OK?

Watson
Old 07-07-2017, 07:15 PM

I have longarmed a quilt that I had spray basted with 505. It worked fine. The owner of the quilt studio I rent longarm time at has also done it with no problems.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

I would opt for doing it on a long arm. I would also add leaders to all sides so you're able to quilt to the edge with the long arm.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:41 PM

See if you can adjust the stitch length on the longarm to match the stitch length of the quilting you've already done on your dsm.