Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
DSM quilting a heavy  king- puddle or fold? >

DSM quilting a heavy king- puddle or fold?

DSM quilting a heavy king- puddle or fold?

Old 09-16-2018, 08:35 AM

I would rather FMQ than SITD. I will have to handle the quilt much less that way. I just cleaned my machine and will start my first king size today. Answer to question - puddle definitely.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:15 AM

Puddling is easier for me. Generally, I find the bigger problem dealing with a large quilt is having plenty of support for the weight to my left and behind the machine so that it doesn't try to get away from the needle. I also find stitch-in-the-ditch harder than almost anything else, though that may just be my peculiarity.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
Puddling is easier for me. Generally, I find the bigger problem dealing with a large quilt is having plenty of support for the weight to my left and behind the machine so that it doesn't try to get away from the needle. I also find stitch-in-the-ditch harder than almost anything else, though that may just be my peculiarity.
i am so with you. I have the hardest time with stitch in the ditch. I try never to do it. I have the foot. I have tried a walking foot. I tried going next to the ditch. It never looks good to me whe I do it.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:48 PM

Well I have to agree with the rest of the folks here. Puddling works better for me. If the quilt is folded or rolled it seems to be heavier and more difficult to move. I've quilted a quarter of the quilt at a time when I made Orca Bay by Bonnie Hunter and still puddled the quarters. I did a lot of outlining and stitching in the dish and the quarter pieces were easier to handle. Surprisingly the connecting of the quarters went rather smoothly. I blind stitched the back of the quilt where the quarters joined.
Good luck with your method of choice. Every one is different and some things work better for you than someone else.