Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: dull! dull! dull!

Power Poster

Post dull! dull! dull!

Some activities are easier for me when I remember to replace or get sharpened the following when they get dull or nicked!

Rotary blades - and I wonder why it's a struggle to cut when I have table knives with sharper blades on them?
    Pins - they come in a variety of thicknesses - thicker ones are harder to push - real thin ones can bend
    Needles - don't know where or when I got the idea that they would never get dull!
    Scissors - even my Ginghers have gotten dull - and that was only cutting fabric with them!
    Seam rippers - many styles are comparatively inexpensive
    Thread cutters on sewing machines -
    x-acto blaces (for cutting template plastic)
    Single edge razor blades -
    Box cutter blades - for opening up our boxes of goodies
    Pencil sharpeners - (and pencils)

We really do operate in a sharp-edged and pointy environment!

Sharp tools (that are supposed to be shart) really are safer than dull ones!

I feel the same way, then when they're sharpened or replaced I wonder why I didn't think of it sooner.

I could always kick myself when I finally change the blade in my rotary cutter. And I always think "why didn't I do this earlier"? LOL I should know better by now!

Then there are the brand new titanium rotary blades that you nick the first time you use them. Two of them...first time used...Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

"Rotary blades - and I wonder why it's a struggle to cut when I have table knives with sharper blades on them?"

You are too funny! Now when I wonder if I should change blades I will think of your quote.

Oh boy can I relate!!!!

Ditto! I think we've all been there, at least once!!!!
    Country 1

It seems as though whenever I replace my rotary cutter blade and I think why did I not do this soon. Then the inevitable happens I nik my hand with it and I realize yes the new one is sharp.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by loriea View Post
    It seems as though whenever I replace my rotary cutter blade and I think why did I not do this soon. Then the inevitable happens I nik my hand with it and I realize yes the new one is sharp.
    I have done that too! Gotta remember to sheathe that blade when it's not in use!!!!!

My pins are plenty sharp. Can't even begin to count the times I'm stabbed myself, while trying to smooth out already-pinned fabric! Maybe I need to be sharpened.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    Yep, even the kitchen knives need to be sharpened to work well. Had a big family BBQ last weekend and I was cutting off the corn on the cob - figured it was easier on everybody if I cut it off for them ahead of time. I was actually "sawing" it off and my DH walks by and grabs my knife and runs it through his sharpener and then I was able to just slice it off - no more sawing. DUH!!!
    Nikki in MO

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
    Yep, even the kitchen knives need to be sharpened to work well. Had a big family BBQ last weekend and I was cutting off the corn on the cob - figured it was easier on everybody if I cut it off for them ahead of time. I was actually "sawing" it off and my DH walks by and grabs my knife and runs it through his sharpener and then I was able to just slice it off - no more sawing. DUH!!!
    Mine would have made some comment - about why didn't I ASK him to sharpen the knives? Usually, he is really good about keeping the knives sharp. Every once in a while he makes some statement that I think is ridiculous - they are in the category of - gee, if you didn't use them for anything they would stay sharp longer. I usually try to avoid sawing through wire, granite, sandstone, etc. while I'm using the knives!

I do consider the kitchen knives "mine" - even though other members of the household use them.

I agree with all of you, but I wait until I absolutely can't stand running my rotary cutter over a cut more than once, then I change. But usually it is only one spot of the blade that leaves just a few threads uncut.....and I try to convince myself that I can tolerate it.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Blog Entries
    I sharpen the blades before every cutting session and during. If you sharpen a sharp blade it lasts a long time. This sharpener makes it fast and easy: http://www.sewforless.com/item/Grace...Fcqe4Aod2lAASg It won't remove a nick in the blade though. I get a nick I toss the blade.

I toss pins when I have to push them through fabric. Pins should glide. I use Clover Patchwork Pins. I use a pinmoor on every pin, I detest pin pricks. I usually use a new needle everytime when handsewing mostly because I can't find the one I used before. LOL. DH takes care of the better kitchen knives. For utility knives I toss and buy new. I'm not a make do type person if it isn't necessary.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 08-18-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    Got fabric?

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    Ever seen the t-shirt with the saying "Runs with Scissors"? That would be us.
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

Yup, I can spend scads of $$ on fabric but when it comes to the bare bones necessity of a sharp rotary blade......I know I've waited too long to change the flippin' blade when I could chew through it easier than use the rotary cutter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I sharpen the blades before every cutting session and during. If you sharpen a sharp blade it lasts a long time. This sharpener makes it fast and easy: http://www.sewforless.com/item/Grace...Fcqe4Aod2lAASg It won't remove a nick in the blade though. I get a nick I toss the blade.

I toss pins when I have to push them through fabric. Pins should glide. I use Clover Patchwork Pins. I use a pinmoor on every pin, I detest pin pricks. I usually use a new needle everytime when handsewing mostly because I can't find the one I used before. LOL. DH takes care of the better kitchen knives. For utility knives I toss and buy new. I'm not a make do type person if it isn't necessary.
    Bellamy you are the first person who I have heard like myself throws out pins when they don't glide through fabric. I made the comment on Friday and pele were shocked I hers pins away.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Power Poster
    I also discard pins that won't go through fabric easily.

One thing that will never get dull, bear, is your keen wit.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    I recently bought a new package of the long quilting pins with the yellow heads. I bet that I threw out at least 10 of them! They didn't even have points. I think the machine that makes them was sick that day.
    Sue

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
    I recently bought a new package of the long quilting pins with the yellow heads. I bet that I threw out at least 10 of them! They didn't even have points. I think the machine that makes them was sick that day.
    I would have complained - oops - change that to - notified the store and the manufacturer that there were quality control issues with those pins. AND returned the whole package of pins to the store.

Hey - if they don't know about it, they can't fix it!! They still may not fix it, buy you can probably get your money back!

Bearisgray you forgot one, How can I sharpen my mind. Do I just replace it, or live with it? There are some days where my mind just doesn't seem to work right? Does anyone know a solution. As for as blades, I just ordered a rotary blade sharpener from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/order-...=gno_yam_yrdrs, cause that blue manual one is a joke. I know none will handle nicks, but I can't see spending that much to replace blades constantly. I need to do better at not nicking it.

I have read recommendations that you put in a new needle at least every time you begin a new project. Probably the same for rotary cutter blade ... I have to admit I am too frugal (cheap) to do that because I really don't realize how dull the needles or blade have gotten until I change them. I keep thinking I can get a little more mileage out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by EdieClay View Post
    I have read recommendations that you put in a new needle at least every time you begin a new project. Probably the same for rotary cutter blade ... I have to admit I am too frugal (cheap) to do that because I really don't realize how dull the needles or blade have gotten until I change them. I keep thinking I can get a little more mileage out of them.
    The usual recommendation for changing needles is after 8 hours of sewing. For me, that's much more often than at the start of a new project.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Everything does work better when it is sharper. I too wait too long to change a rotary blade, then wonder why I didn't do it sooner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast