Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dull! dull! dull! >

dull! dull! dull!

dull! dull! dull!

Old 08-19-2013, 10:35 AM

I use my rotary blade sharpener which is electric. It is loud but gets the job done. I keep an old blade case labeled old so if I am in a hurry I can place it in the case to be sharpened later. In the kitchen a sharp blade IMO is not an option I will stop what ever cutting I am doing to sharpen.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

I used to be so bad about changing my sewing machine needles until I found this board. Before learning to quilt, I bet I sewed dozens of garments with the same needle! ...now don't you feel better?
Old 08-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
I used to be so bad about changing my sewing machine needles until I found this board. Before learning to quilt, I bet I sewed dozens of garments with the same needle! ...now don't you feel better?
Until they broke, got bent, or a got a burr - they were good enough!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 03:30 PM

You ladies sure made my day! I thought I was the only one dumb or stubborn enough to keep trying to cut fabric with dull rotary cutter blades. Duh...
Old 08-20-2013, 04:47 AM

I bought some of the titanium blades to try and just put a new one in. It leaves one thread on it's path.....yes, ONE thread!!! I'm going to have to change to another blade. I'm hoping that this was just a fluke. I'm not happy with the quality of this one!!!

Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
What did you run over? Isn't titanium meant to be very hard? When I cut fabric that is the only thing on my cutting mat.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:58 AM

I guess I'm just very cheap. I prefer to think of it as thrifty but I tend to try to get every inch of use from things. I have a rotary blade right now that I just chgd. but has a nick on it already. Got to go back & cut that one or two threads that don't cut the first time. What a drag!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:26 AM

Pat G, I'm the same way. I use my machine needles, until they tell me they need changing. There's no way, I'm gonna admit how long I've used the current one. Seriously, it still makes perfect stitches and the machine purrs like the day I bought it, so I see no good reason to throw it out, "just because." The Quilt Police would hate me!
Old 08-22-2013, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Pat G, I'm the same way. I use my machine needles, until they tell me they need changing. There's no way, I'm gonna admit how long I've used the current one. Seriously, it still makes perfect stitches and the machine purrs like the day I bought it, so I see no good reason to throw it out, "just because." The Quilt Police would hate me!
I, too, wonder about changing needles just because. If it is still stitching well, why? Who exactly are these quilt police?

I do agree about the rotary cutter - the difference between enjoying cutting and hating it. How does one sharpen the cutter on their machine?
Old 08-22-2013, 05:01 PM

AAAAARRRG, scream. I replaced the blade in my Matelli rotary cutter yesterday, nicked a template this afternoon and now I am back to where I was before, no clean cuts. One new blade is left in the pack but oh that cutter was smooth as silk. Cutter gets the last blade tomorrow.

I put a sticky note on the top of my machine when I change a needle with the date, size and needle type. It is the only way I can remember.