Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dull! dull! dull! >

dull! dull! dull!

dull! dull! dull!

Old 08-19-2013, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
Then there are the brand new titanium rotary blades that you nick the first time you use them. Two of them...first time used...Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!
What did you run over? Isn't titanium meant to be very hard? When I cut fabric that is the only thing on my cutting mat.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

Just for fun (after my husband just sharpened it) I used the pizza cutter! Wow! Cut like going through melted butter. I'll still just stick with how they're suppose to be used, though.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Country1 View Post
Ditto! I think we've all been there, at least once!!!!
Ditto, ditto, ditto and on and on too many times.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:16 AM

I just picked up some carpet cutting blades at harbor freight for $1.99 for two blades. Worked great. Now I will change blades more often.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:30 AM

I can relate to your statements completely. I just ordered a Fiskar's scissor sharpener for $7.14 from Amazon. We'll see how that works out, but for that price I was willing to take a chance. I have a pair of Fiskar's shears that are only for fabric and so far, after five years, they still perform fantastically. My kitchen is another place that drives me bonkers when my knives are dull. I bought a camping knife sharpener from L.L. Bean when we were in Maine and it is without a doubt the best sharpener I've ever had. I'm in the process of teaching myself applique and if there was ever a time when a sharp pair of scissors was needed it is now. What's that old saying about not being the sharpest tool in the shed? I believe that might apply to me. So if it is any consolation know that there are a lot of us who like sharp things and hey, I run with scissors.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:57 AM

Oh yeah, I just hate it when I am cutting and the blade goes cut, bump, cut bump. I just know that cut will never ever be even. I love your post
Old 08-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

Been there, done that; then when I realize the blade may be dull, I hit myself over the head and say "dumb blonde". I don't mean to offend any blondes out there, but until I reached high school, I'd always been a blonde, from platinum to dishwater blonde over the years, so I qualify.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:14 AM

Yes, I agree with all of these. Wish I could replace the thread cutter on my sewing machine without taking it into the shop. It needs to be done right now and I'm putting it off because of the distance and time involved taking it in.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:25 AM

I keep me a large ball of aluminum foil and I run my rotary blade over it and it shappens it right up. I truly can relate to the pins and the needles. I really think America as a whole is falling down on quality in a lot of ways because they are trying to cut cost. For what I paid for my Gingham sheers, they are still cutting well. I have had them for four years.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:07 AM

Thanks BettyGee, for the hint on scissor sharpener I was going to ask how to do this. So I guess I'll do like you have done & order myself one & hope it really works. I need one for an old pair of heavy steel scissors I got at an Estate Sale.