Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dull seam rippers >

dull seam rippers

dull seam rippers

Old 05-05-2015, 08:48 AM

This is how I do it, but with my seam ripper -- clip about 5 stitches apart. I use the Clover white-handled seam rippers, because they seem to have the sharpest point. When I find them on sale, I get 3 or 4. For some reason, I had never thought about sharpening seam rippers. I guess it's part of that disposable mentality. You could probably run the point over a whet stone. I wonder if taking a strip of leather and running it along the curve would help?

I also use my seam ripper instead of snips to clip the threads when removing pieces from the sewing machine. And I also use it to clip chain pieces apart instead of snips, but I place it in a holder.

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Sorry I can't helps as I don't use a seam ripper. I prefer to use my tiny pointed thread snips and cut every third thread on one side of the seam. I pull the thread on the other side after clipping and it's done.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:57 PM

I bought a set of files, either from Home Depot or Harbor Freight, which are different sizes. I bought the set in order to have the one long small round file. That is what I use to sharpen my seam rippers. The file is great to have and friends have borrowed it.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:03 PM

I know some people who say they don't ever need seam rippers. They are in the same category with people who never have had a cake fall, or who have never burned a pan of cookies or had a fight with their spouse. But to the point! As hard as it is to throw stuff away, seam rippers as a rule are so inexpensive that you might as well put it in the recycle bin (assuming you city has a recycling program) and buy another one. My mother always used a single edge razor blade and I still think they are the best seam rippers in the world, although they do have their draw backs. froggyintexas
Old 05-05-2015, 06:25 PM

I have several types as mentioned above. The thing I don't like about the F & F item is that it is round and frequently rolls itself onto the floor. I have the scissors that Tartan mentioned and really like them if I have a long area to take out. I clip the stitches on one side and pull out the thread on the other side. However, I have never had a problem with them getting dull.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:49 AM

I have nippers that my husband got for tying flies.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:59 AM

Life is too short. buy a new one.

sandy
Old 05-06-2015, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Life is too short. buy a new one.

sandy
I agree. I have better things to do than sharpen seam rippers.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:27 AM

I haven't tried F&P's yet. I do a lot of alterations and replacing jeans zippers. so a sharp seam ripper is a must for these jobs.I'll check out their website.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:48 AM

Use an eyebrow razor. These are relatively inexpensive (beauty section of drugstore). They will not cut your fabric, but do cut the thread efficiently.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

So sorry to hear of your friend's tragic death.

For a lot of ripping (long seams) I prefer straight edge razor blades. You can also drag them sideways along the ripped seam and they pull out all the cut threads. They are cheap enough to throw away when they get dull.