Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dumpster Diving Divas >

Dumpster Diving Divas

Dumpster Diving Divas

Old 01-08-2014, 08:37 PM

Default Dumpster Diving Divas

Our Goodwill every month allows a dumpster dive behind the store of all the stuff that didn't sell. This was my first foray into the world of an endorsed dumpster dive and it was entertaining.

Score 1: Office Chair with ugly upholstery but in excellent working order (I re-upholstered in less than an hour and a half) to replace my ugly uncomfortable office chair in the sewing area.

Score 2: Lots and lots of great mens shirts and ties. The ties were all silk and are fantastic for upholstering dollhouse furniture.

Score 3: A deck prism from an old sailboat. I was stunned, these things cost dearly in the boat consignment shops. Makes a great weight!

Score 4: old patterns, including cute aprons and kitchen aid mixer cover.

Score 5: a box of fabric, porcelain doll heads, feet, hands, feathers, and other crafty stuff.

Usually I just dumpster dive at the marina where my boat is. Lots of wealthy people there and they throw tons of great stuff away. Including sails which make DARLING tote bags, duffels, and messengers. After a race we did a competitor threw away his sail he tore, and I dove in and turned it into a summer sun shade for the hammock.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-09-2014 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:18 PM

​Wow, you sound very creative. What kind of machine do you use for sewing with sails?
Old 01-08-2014, 11:33 PM

Sounds like great fun! What kind of fabric was in your box of fabric you found?
Old 01-09-2014, 05:18 AM

Marina dumpster diving -- now that is a new one to me! It is fun to be resourceful.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:24 AM

Great score!
Those ties would work up into a crazy quilt too.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:00 AM

The fabric included about 2 yards of a heavy diaper flannel in dark blue, some kids prints most likely cotton by the feel and wrinkleability, yard and a half of cotton on a sunset print that will be shared with my swap buddy, and about 4 yards of a hawaiian brown on white print of lovely hula dancers and flowers. Im guesing the reason it was gifted to the goodwill is because the wahines are topless. Lol. Hubby said he claims it for a pareo, saying its the prettiest fabric ever. Definitely sharing some with swap buddy....

I sew old dacron and light sails on pretty much anything. No worse than denim. But say a storm jib or the new laminates with kevlar, carbon fiber or other aramids well then I drag the old industrial machine from the loft. The laminates need extra oomph and a wider stitch sewing through mylar/epoxy/fiber sandwiches.

oooo ties in a crazy quilt. Good idea, DH has boxes of his dads ties ( older styles, prints, stained) i always wondered
What to do with them.

the wealthier the marina the better, i scored nice acrylic glasses and dishware with non skid bottoms last week. Not a scratch on them. the lady on J dock hired designers to redo her interior. I guess they were from her.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

I have never been on a approved dumpster dive. I have done a couple of clandestine dives when I was younger. Sounds like you got some great stuff! It amazes me what people throw away nowadays.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:42 AM

You sound like my kind of gal!! Good for you! I have friends that would be appalled at that behavior... haha! Sound slike a fabulous adventure to me! Were there a lot of people "diving"? When I was in Maine over the summer, I saw lots of shops selling backs made from sails and I loved them...and was wondering where I would get my hands on a sail....so, now I know.... I'll be looking for a marina this summer! haha! Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed your post...and your enthusiasm!!
Old 01-09-2014, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Trippgal View Post
Our Goodwill every month allows a dumpster dive behind the store of all the stuff that didn't sell. This was my first foray into the world of an endorsed dumpster dive and it was entertaining.

Score 1: Office Chair with ugly upholstery but in excellent working order (I re-upholstered in less than an hour and a half) to replace my ugly uncomfortable office chair in the sewing area.

Score 2: Lots and lots of great mens shirts and ties. The ties were all silk and are fantastic for upholstering dollhouse furniture.

Score 3: A deck prism from an old sailboat. I was stunned, these things cost dearly in the boat consignment shops. Makes a great weight!

Score 4: old patterns, including cute aprons and kitchen aid mixer cover.

Score 5: a box of fabric, porcelain doll heads, feet, hands, feathers, and other crafty stuff.

Usually I just dumpster dive at the marina where my boat is. Lots of wealthy people there and they throw tons of great stuff away. Including sails which make DARLING tote bags, duffels, and messengers. After a race we did a competitor threw away his sail he tore, and I dove in and turned it into a summer sun shade for the hammock.
Do they actually throw the stuff in a dumpster or do they just lay it out for easy access.

Wonder why they don't just reduce the price a lot and leave stuff in the store?
Old 01-09-2014, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Wow, great score!!!