Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Durable steam iron? >

Durable steam iron?

Durable steam iron?

Old 05-16-2020, 11:21 AM
Administrator

for durability, you can't beat the good old Black & Decker Classic.
as long as you don't drop it on a concrete floor too often it should last for many years.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/2d8...d&odnBg=ffffff

i can't speak to their other models.
i just know the Classic i had before i went cordless took a lot of abuse and lasted enough years I can't remember how many.
(on some days all my fingers turn into thumbs. )
Old 05-17-2020, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

I don't spend much more than $10 for an iron, usually from WalMart. I dont put water in them, but use a spray bottle. They last a very long time that way. And if they need replacing, I don't feel badly because I didn't spend that much money on them.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

I have a Black & Decker Classic. Great iron! It gets hot, has good steam, and has a little weight to it. I like this iron so well that this one is my third one over 30 years.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:22 PM

If you want good steam, I'm on my second LauraStar. The first one lasted about 15 years so even though it was pricey, I considered it worth the money. I think you could steam the wall paper off walls with these things.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:21 AM

I have learned over 30+ years of having irons decide to spit dirty water on my nursing scrubs and beautiful quilt blocks to never put water in my iron, instead, I use a mister like the hairdresser uses. That being said, I too like an iron with some weight. I have a SHARK iron (I don't know... do they even make them anymore?) that weighs more than the old flatirons my parents had
Old 05-20-2020, 12:34 PM

I had my rowenta for a long time before my brother messed it up. My cats just broke my other one. My family seems to not want me to have a rowenta but mine have been nice
Old 05-20-2020, 07:22 PM

Default some updates!

Thanks for your recommendations, ladies! You're very helpful.

Unfortunately I've been so busy recently - sorry for the late reply. Last week was crazy.

That's pretty upsetting to know that so many quilters had problems with Rowenta. I've always thought that Rowenta is a standard for a steam irons, but some of my friends told me that their irons went off quickly. It doesn't seem to be a coincidence especially since you've mentioned different models.

Originally Posted by maminstl View Post
I have a Black & Decker Digital Advantage that I like - a model also popular with garment sewers. It does have an auto shut off, but heats back up very quickly. In the neighborhood of $50 on amazon.

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
for durability, you can't beat the good old Black & Decker Classic.

as long as you don't drop it on a concrete floor too often it should last for many years.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/2d8...d&odnBg=ffffff

i can't speak to their other models.

i just know the Classic i had before i went cordless took a lot of abuse and lasted enough years I can't remember how many.

(on some days all my fingers turn into thumbs. )

Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
I have a Black & Decker Classic. Great iron! It gets hot, has good steam, and has a little weight to it. I like this iron so well that this one is my third one over 30 years.

Decided to give Black + Decker a try! As for other models, girls, unfortunately I couldn't found those brands in our local store but I'll keep them in mind. Ordered Black + Decker Digital Advantage (as I found, it's main disadvantage that it's "on a heavier side" - good for me ), delivery is scheduled for Friday. Can't wait to try it - certainly, it's not the fanciest option around but still I'm happy. Probably should do more sewing shopping, it was a nice distraction for me.

Thanks again!
Old 05-21-2020, 06:58 AM

I'm going to keep that Black and Decker recommendation in mind, I'm thinking my current iron is only going to take one more good drop. Wood floors, not as hard as concrete but irons just don't like bouncing up and down!

Again, I also like the heavier irons as well. I just checked and the iron I'm currently using is the Sunbeam Turbo Steam. Its older, not the current model and I bought it at the thrift store because I liked the size/weight. Then when I got home I found that although I can use it in steam mode, the burst of steam feature and the spritzer both didn't work, so probably why it ended up in the thrift store. So my little dollar store spritzer bottle is still being used a lot.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:03 AM

I think I like the cheap iron, low expectations suggestion. I KNOW I DON"T want Rowenta again -- my old one is okay without steam, but I want a trustworthy steam iron to replace my T-Fal that just burned out.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:17 AM

I had a very good Rowenta steam iron that lasted for years. It finally went down. So then I went through two new rowentas, that did not last long at all, so them I went to a black and decker and a sunbeam and a Shark. Well those did not last long either and leaked and also did not get hot enough. So then I did some research, found an article that said Rowenta had moved it's manufacturing out of Germany and then had a lot of complaints, had then moved at least some production back to to Germany. So I ordered a "professional Rowenta" and I have been using that one for a few years. The steam works great, but I have not been using the steam, I just use the hot iron as I have heard comments, the using steam actually helps distort the fabric. I will use steam sometimes on the final pressing. My Iron states "made in Germany" on it.