Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Easiest and Preferred method for HST's?? >

Easiest and Preferred method for HST's??

Easiest and Preferred method for HST's??

Old 09-25-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by CherryPie
Originally Posted by tjradj
I use the Jenny Doan method of two different colour squares on top of each other, right sides together. Sew a 1/4" seam all around the outside 4 edges. Then cut them across corner to corner in a large X. Voila = 4 HST's
Ditto
Dont you end up with all bias edges that way? Be sure to starch heavy.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
I use the Jenny Doan method of two different colour squares on top of each other, right sides together. Sew a 1/4" seam all around the outside 4 edges. Then cut them across corner to corner in a large X. Voila = 4 HST's
ditto here
Old 09-26-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by TymeToShine
Would the triangulations be the same as printing foundations for HST's in EQ?
No, EQ prints foundations for paper-piecing. Triangulations prints a grid with a continuous line of quilting that runs all over the paper in a dotted line.

Press both sides to set the seams, then cut on the solid lines and press open toward the dark. The paper helps hold that bias seam and it comes right off with a little tug after your perfect HST's are pressed flat. :) Just a thumbnail into the seam and the paper comes right off.

Oh and I love Jenny Doan's teaching videos - I even bought her series.

But I wouldn't use her two square method of making four HST's on a bet - even starched, all those bias edges are a nightmare for me.

I have trouble enough with HST's when my fabric is cut on or across the grain - no sense adding any further difficulties to the process. ;)
Old 09-26-2011, 11:27 AM

Here's a link to a tutorial for 8 HSTs at once. No specialty ruler required, but your ruler must be at least 12 inches for most sizes.
http://katiesquiltsandcrafts.blogspo...-shortcut.html
Old 09-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Those are way too expensive. I don't understand why a person needs this expensive ruler to square up a block. Square rulers have the diagonal line and all you have to do is line it up with your hst.

I've never seen a specialty ruler that I thought was too expensive. Not one has ever cost me more then going out to eat and the ruler lasts much longer! :lol:
Old 09-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Those are way too expensive. I don't understand why a person needs this expensive ruler to square up a block. Square rulers have the diagonal line and all you have to do is line it up with your hst.

I've never seen a specialty ruler that I thought was too expensive. Not one has ever cost me more then going out to eat and the ruler lasts much longer! :lol:
For me $32 for an 8 1/2" square ruler is too expensive. I don't go out and eat either, because I can't afford it.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

For me $32 for an 8 1/2" square ruler is too expensive. I don't go out and eat either, because I can't afford it.
I'm sorry for your situation. :-(
Old 09-29-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by kwiltnutt
I am hooked on the Triangulations software for creating HST and QST. Only about $20 and the best $20 I have spent!
I use Print and Sew but after reading here I ordered Triangulations...I got it today and was a little disappointed in it. It is not an executable file so you have to open it in Adobe and scroll down to the page you need and calculate how many pages you need to print. In Print and Sew, you click on the size HST/QST you need, tell it to print X amount of triangles and it prints the right amount of pages. The upside of Triangulations though is it has alot more sizes of triangles but I rarely want a finished block of 2 1/16th but if I do, by golly, I have it and you do have the Flying Geese option which Print and Sew does not.