Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53

Thread: which is your preferred backing?

  1. #1
    Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    greater NorthEast
    Posts
    3,209
    Blog Entries
    2
    when you back your quilts,which way do you use? split in half vertically/horizontally/ or sectioned in thirds/ or quartered? OR something completely different? do you find this way easier due to high costs of materials?

  2. #2
    Power Poster erstan947's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12,168
    Blog Entries
    47
    I often use the left-overs from the quil for the backing and arrange it to enhance the quilt.

  3. #3
    Super Member shaverg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,011
    I make a tube by sewing the two pieces together on each side and then cut down the middle of one section, that way your two sections on each side are exactly the same size it works great. I will find the how to for you.

  4. #4
    Super Member Boston1954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East Oklahoma - pining for Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,891
    I am working on one right now that is in thirds Horizontaly. I did not have enough of any one color to get it completed and I really wanted to work on it, so it is pieced. I really would like to have the extra wide stuff, but that will have to wait til the next one.

  5. #5
    Super Member shaverg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,011
    Here is the web site for piecing a backing.
    http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/backings.htm

  6. #6
    Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    greater NorthEast
    Posts
    3,209
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    Here is the web site for piecing a backing.
    http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/backings.htm
    thanks, that looks EZ enough! i think i stumbled on that site before, but didn't need it till now! i appreciate it! i put myself to sleep at night trying to figure out how i am going to do the backs on all these quilts!

  7. #7
    Super Member franie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,573
    Now I like this idea! I do whatever works for me or the client if I am quilting for someone else.

    Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    I make a tube by sewing the two pieces together on each side and then cut down the middle of one section, that way your two sections on each side are exactly the same size it works great. I will find the how to for you.

  8. #8
    Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    greater NorthEast
    Posts
    3,209
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by franie
    Now I like this idea! I do whatever works for me or the client if I am quilting for someone else.

    Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    I make a tube by sewing the two pieces together on each side and then cut down the middle of one section, that way your two sections on each side are exactly the same size it works great. I will find the how to for you.
    me too! i've seen it in books, they say to sew it in thirds, that way when you fold it, [the seams won't wear] but this looks pretty simple--glad to find it, that's for sure, just saved me a WHOLE lotta work!

  9. #9
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    Here is another way to piece your back

    http://www.flynnquilt.com/media/uplo...onalpb1103.pdf

  10. #10
    Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    greater NorthEast
    Posts
    3,209
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Here is another way to piece your back

    http://www.flynnquilt.com/media/uplo...onalpb1103.pdf
    that kinda reminds me why God made man..........

  11. #11
    Senior Member humbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    959
    My prefered back is the "extra" wide so I have no seam. Howver, I have done most of the methods mentioned here. I do like to use up what I can in my stash when possable.

  12. #12
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    Quote Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
    Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    Here is the web site for piecing a backing.
    http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/backings.htm
    thanks, that looks EZ enough! i think i stumbled on that site before, but didn't need it till now! i appreciate it! i put myself to sleep at night trying to figure out how i am going to do the backs on all these quilts!
    I'm going to try that. When I don't have the wide backing this would be so much easier.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    744
    I have used large patch work using some the same fabric thats in the top, Makes me happy

  14. #14
    Super Member wvdek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    A million dollar view!
    Posts
    8,890
    So far, my backs are all one piece. I have to check out these links though. Someday I will end up piecing together I'm sure.

  15. #15
    Super Member shaverg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,011
    I have been quilting for 27 years and I've always pieced my backs using two seams on each side when I make anything larger than the fabric width. It is so easy with the tube method. I also learned you should never have a seam down the center, especially on a large quilt, because of the stress and pulling on a center seam, if it drapes it will pull on that center seam and will eventually wear out the center seam. The tube solves that problem.

  16. #16
    Super Member Dina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,045
    This is really good information. Thanks!!

  17. #17
    Super Member shaverg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,011
    Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    I have been quilting for 27 years and I've always pieced my backs using two seams on each side when I make anything larger than the fabric width. It is so easy with the tube method. I also learned you should never have a seam down the center, especially on a large quilt, because of the stress and pulling on a center seam, if it drapes it will pull on that center seam and will eventually wear out the center seam. The tube solves that problem.
    Whoops meant to say a seam on each side. I sure you know what I meant. :roll:

  18. #18
    Super Member pollyjvan9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    3,026
    Blog Entries
    1
    I usually used a pieced back out of scraps, but I really do like the tube idea. Will try it next week.

    Also, I like to use drapery fabric for backing because you can usually get it very inexpensive at Hancocks, especially on sale, but the extra weight seems to make it easier for me to FMQ with working very had to keep the backing wrinkle free.

  19. #19
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3,486
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    I also learned you should never have a seam down the center, especially on a large quilt, because of the stress and pulling on a center seam, if it drapes it will pull on that center seam and will eventually wear out the center seam.
    Oh my goodness! What a valuable piece of information that I did not have in my goodie box!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    (Not a solution for this post, just a tidbit: Many, many of my quilts have been reversible. A completed quilt top on each side. Just makes me happy.)

  20. #20
    Super Member amandasgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    La Pine Oregon, USA
    Posts
    5,911
    Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    Here is the web site for piecing a backing.
    http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/backings.htm
    Is it just me??? I can't get this website to come up....

  21. #21
    Super Member shaverg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,011
    Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    Here is the web site for piecing a backing.
    http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/backings.htm
    Is it just me??? I can't get this website to come up....
    It came up fine yesterday. But it is slow loading today for me. Try these two sites. One is just instructions the other has a diagram. Hope this will help.
    http://www.alwaysquilting.com.au/mak...quilt_back.htm

    http://www.ehow.com/how_6012433_piec...t-backing.html

  22. #22
    Senior Member redrummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mount Vernon, Oh
    Posts
    707
    Many, many of my quilts are reversible. I use up what I have left over and create a pattern for the back. The one I made my daughter, her boyfriend liked the back better than the front.

  23. #23
    Super Member LindaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,943
    Blog Entries
    1
    90% of the time I buy the 90x108 backing....If I can't find the color I want I piece

  24. #24
    Super Member May in Jersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,549
    This idea is so simple so why didn't we all think of it before? LOL! It isn't aways possible to find the right extra wide backing so this method is quick and simple and I'm going to use it. May in Jersey

  25. #25
    Senior Member quilter64779's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    313
    We had 2 different long arm quilters at out guild meeting and they said that if piecing the back that the seams should go horizonal since when you quilt the other way they seem to drag away and make a ripple. I like the idea of sewing both sides but will do it horizonal.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.