Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Easiest Quilt Block You've Ever Made?

Rail fence, hands down. No seams to match.

Blog Entries
    I like rail fence, too.

four patch from a charm pack....
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

I concur one of the easiest is the Rail Fence. No seam to line up!

Blog Entries
    Double Slice Layer Cake (Missouri Quilt Company)

Log cabin blocks.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Vat
    I guess a 4 patch but I don't think about what is easy just what I like.

I still would like to know what a 5 minute block and what a 10 minute block look like. Could someone post a picture?

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    I still would like to know what a 5 minute block and what a 10 minute block look like. Could someone post a picture?
    Ditto, my fellow quilter!

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
    The 5 minute block (it is the subject of a thread in, I think, the Tutorial section here) is similar to the one-seam flying geese block (google it) except that you can do it with three rectangles of the same size, it it so easy and it can be turned into a ten minute block by sewing two together. It is one of my favorite easy blocks, along with anything I can do with paper piecing, the only way I can guarantee that points line up and don't get lost in the seam allowance, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by newBe View Post
    Ditto, my fellow quilter!
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

Drunkard's Path using the Curvemaster foot. Less than a minute per block.

Quote Originally Posted by kacie View Post
    Drunkard's Path using the Curvemaster foot. Less than a minute per block.

Could you please tell us more about the curvemaster foot, how it works, price, where to buy, how to use and maybe a photo? Thanks

You Tube has both the 5 and 10 minute blocks shown and explained. You can also buy the books.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I think the 9 patch is pretty easy, but then I guess you'd have to say the rail fence is easier because it comes from that.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Quote Originally Posted by LenaBeena View Post
    My quilting group is having its fall retreat and wants everyone to submit the easiest quilt block they know. Mine would be the 10 minute block, or a simple 4 patch. What would yours be?
    Wonky Star block. I can cut and sew the 12 15" blocks for a twin-size quilt in less than 4 hours - so about 20 minutes per block.
    Big border block. I can cut and sew 20 9"x16" blocks in about 3 hours or less.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
    Anything I can strip piece and slice again! Rail fence, warm wishes, etc.
    speaking of Warm Wishes (sorry to hijack this thread!) what are your measurements for that block? 2 1/2 x 6-1/2" strips and 6-1/2" square, to make a 12" block? I have a beautiful pink/purple/green paisley that I want to use with a pink solid or muted print and two solids (purple and green) and finally decided this pattern would do justice to the fabric. I know I can adjust the sizes to suit myself but wonder if those of you who have made it know what the pattern actually calls for?

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I think the 9 patch is pretty easy, but then I guess you'd have to say the rail fence is easier because it comes from that.
    I'm going with 9-patch. I dunno if it's actually easier than a 4-patch but I've just made so many more 9-patches that they seem easier (plus they're probably my favorite pattern of all time anyway).
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    I do not know the name of this block, but I just love it. I think someone on the Board posted it, but not sure where I picked the pattern up. Here are the directions to making it though. It sounds complicated, but ISN'T it really goes together fast I think. I started with a 4" square - whatever you want for the center of the block. Then cut another 4" square and place these 2 squares right sides together and sew all around the edges using l/4" seam allowance (throughout) then being careful pick up the center of the 2nd square and snip it, then cut to each corner (diagonally) being careful not to cut through the corners where the stitching is. fold out and press with a dry iron-( it will be on the bias and a steam iron will probably stretch it) now you have a 5 1/2" block, cut another 51/2" square and lay right sides together again and sew around all the edges, repeat the snipping and cutting at the diagonal press, now you have a 7" square or block, next cut a 7" square and place right sides together again and sew around all 4 sides, snip and cut diagonally, press - Walla a perfect 9" block. NOTE Do not snip the little dog ears after adding each new square, as they help with putting the next square on, don't know just why, but they do. I tried using a 6 1/2" center block and ended up with a 14 1/4" block. Unless you want an extra large block, I suggest starting with the 4". I have just finished making these blocks and am in the process of putting the blocks together - no sashing between blocks, as when they are sewn tegether they make another pattern and these blocks go together great. I love this block. Will post pic. when I get the quilt top completed and get a pic of it. Whoever came up with this method Hooray for them. I love it. This is also an easy way of using some scrap fabrics. Have fun on your retreat!!

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I guess I would have to say the snowball block. Even though there are a few extra steps, I find it quite easy to do!
    I agree! I can make a snowball block from cutting to finished in less than 5 minutes, I think!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbie View Post
    I do not know the name of this block, but I just love it. I think someone on the Board posted it, but not sure where I picked the pattern up. Here are the directions to making it though. It sounds complicated, but ISN'T it really goes together fast I think. I started with a 4" square - whatever you want for the center of the block. Then cut another 4" square and place these 2 squares right sides together and sew all around the edges using l/4" seam allowance (throughout) then being careful pick up the center of the 2nd square and snip it, then cut to each corner (diagonally) being careful not to cut through the corners where the stitching is. fold out and press with a dry iron-( it will be on the bias and a steam iron will probably stretch it) now you have a 5 1/2" block, cut another 51/2" square and lay right sides together again and sew around all the edges, repeat the snipping and cutting at the diagonal press, now you have a 7" square or block, next cut a 7" square and place right sides together again and sew around all 4 sides, snip and cut diagonally, press - Walla a perfect 9" block. NOTE Do not snip the little dog ears after adding each new square, as they help with putting the next square on, don't know just why, but they do. I tried using a 6 1/2" center block and ended up with a 14 1/4" block. Unless you want an extra large block, I suggest starting with the 4". I have just finished making these blocks and am in the process of putting the blocks together - no sashing between blocks, as when they are sewn tegether they make another pattern and these blocks go together great. I love this block. Will post pic. when I get the quilt top completed and get a pic of it. Whoever came up with this method Hooray for them. I love it. This is also an easy way of using some scrap fabrics. Have fun on your retreat!!
    Wow! I have to try this! Sounds like fun and thanks for posting. Please do show us photos.

As to the retreat--it is always fun. We spend 3 or 4 nights at an old camp; bunk beds, shorts and tee-shirts, sew, sew, sew, laugh, laugh, laugh. All ages from new mother with babe to grandmothers (with advice) and everyone in between. We share the food duties, eat plenty and then more, do a few local shop hops, have devotions every morning, make friends, and come home renewed and full of great ideas for future quilts.

Disappearing 9 patch love it. Fast and easy

5 min. block for me

One of my sewing groups exchanged the block called "Anita's Arrows" it is fast and very easy. You can Google it, it is a free pattern. And you can use any size you want!

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    Check out YouTube, videos are available for both blocks

This sounds really interesting. I too will have to try it. Thanks for the directions.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast