Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Easiest Quilt Block You've Ever Made? >

Easiest Quilt Block You've Ever Made?

Easiest Quilt Block You've Ever Made?

Old 08-10-2012, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Gerbie View Post
I do not know the name of this block, but I just love it. I think someone on the Board posted it, but not sure where I picked the pattern up. Here are the directions to making it though. It sounds complicated, but ISN'T it really goes together fast I think. I started with a 4" square - whatever you want for the center of the block. Then cut another 4" square and place these 2 squares right sides together and sew all around the edges using l/4" seam allowance (throughout) then being careful pick up the center of the 2nd square and snip it, then cut to each corner (diagonally) being careful not to cut through the corners where the stitching is. fold out and press with a dry iron-( it will be on the bias and a steam iron will probably stretch it) now you have a 5 1/2" block, cut another 51/2" square and lay right sides together again and sew around all the edges, repeat the snipping and cutting at the diagonal press, now you have a 7" square or block, next cut a 7" square and place right sides together again and sew around all 4 sides, snip and cut diagonally, press - Walla a perfect 9" block. NOTE Do not snip the little dog ears after adding each new square, as they help with putting the next square on, don't know just why, but they do. I tried using a 6 1/2" center block and ended up with a 14 1/4" block. Unless you want an extra large block, I suggest starting with the 4". I have just finished making these blocks and am in the process of putting the blocks together - no sashing between blocks, as when they are sewn tegether they make another pattern and these blocks go together great. I love this block. Will post pic. when I get the quilt top completed and get a pic of it. Whoever came up with this method Hooray for them. I love it. This is also an easy way of using some scrap fabrics. Have fun on your retreat!!
Thank you for posting this! This is the cutest thing I've ever seen! Not to over do chickens ;-) but I wanted to make one of these blocks in order to see how it worked (I'm a visual learner and usually need to see it). I - grabbed one of my leftover fussy cuts, which were 4-1/2" for the first square and just added scrap fabric to it. These are quick and easy and make such adorable blocks! I can only imagine the possibilities for these. Here's my quick effort: [ATTACH=CONFIG]354747[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails photos-chicken-block-block.jpg  
Old 08-10-2012, 02:29 PM

Rail fence.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:50 PM

This has been such a nice and interesting thread. Thanks all for sharing and have a wonderful retreat!!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Scraps View Post
This has been such a nice and interesting thread. Thanks all for sharing and have a wonderful retreat!!

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'm thankful for you long-distance friends. I hope you all have a chance to enjoy retreats as much as I do.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
Thank you for posting this! This is the cutest thing I've ever seen! Not to over do chickens ;-) but I wanted to make one of these blocks in order to see how it worked (I'm a visual learner and usually need to see it). I - grabbed one of my leftover fussy cuts, which were 4-1/2" for the first square and just added scrap fabric to it. These are quick and easy and make such adorable blocks! I can only imagine the possibilities for these. Here's my quick effort: [ATTACH=CONFIG]354747[/ATTACH]
Thanks for the visual. I was wondering about the points - and you answered that question.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:13 PM

Like your chicken block going to have to try it Thanks I'm a visual type person
Old 08-11-2012, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
That is the cutest thing I've ever seen! I want to try that method, too! I sure hope mine turns out at least a tenth as cute as yours!!!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:15 AM

Great thread!
I especially find the pictures helpful and I thank Gerbie for the directions and mme3924

for the chicken block with great directions.

It would be nice for newbies to have more pictures of those simple blocks.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:19 AM

Yes, I couldn't figure a way to avoid cutting them off.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:48 AM

I have to say Rail Fence too, it is super easy and looks great!