Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Easiest way to Cu Bias Binding?? >

Easiest way to Cu Bias Binding??

Easiest way to Cu Bias Binding??

Old 06-23-2015, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Default Easiest way to Cu Bias Binding??

I have looked at a few bias binding videos and they look so complicated with the folding instructions. I am using an older Cranston Collection two tone 1/8" plaid (cranberry & burgundy) fabric. The plaid is not print straight so I worry about how well this will work with the quilt. I backed the quilt with this fabric. The outside border is a cranberry Kona cotton. Thanks for any assistance you can toss my way. Need to have the binding cut and pieced by tomorrow morning.
Attached Thumbnails amish-triangles-outside-border.jpg   amish-triangles-mark2.jpg   amish-triangles-marks.jpg  
Old 06-23-2015, 08:33 AM

Depending on how off true the plaid is you could lay out one layer flat, lay your ruler from corner to corner of the plaid pattern to get your bias. If it is not too far off a true 45 degree angle it should still work fine. Once you make one cut, use that edge as you would a straight edge and cut the width you need.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

I use straight of grain binding unless I am doing curves OR if I want the barber pole effect of strips or plaid on the edges. I usually use a full square of fabric that is the same length as it is wide. I use my large ruler to draw a line from one corner to the opposite corner on the 45*. This is the longest bias strip I can get. I measure over from the first line 2-1/4 inches and draw a line and so on. I still have to join the ends when all my strips are cut and I put the smaller lengths between the longer ones. I have tried doing the continous tube bias binding but it was more trouble then it was worth.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:06 AM
Banned

This is by far the best tutorial for making continuous bias binding that I have found. It's kind of hard the first time, but after that it's a piece of cake. There's no waste, you use the whole piece of fabric, and a small(1/4 or 1/3 yard) will make a LOT of binding. It's wonderful for plaids or stripes. This is how I do all of my bindings.

http://piraterodgers.com/tutorials/cbt/index.htm

Cari
Old 06-23-2015, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

I found this way and have never tried another. It's super easy and fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO7iTP1MSsY
Old 06-23-2015, 11:49 AM

I normally do the continuous method but for a plaid, stripe, etc I would just cut them on the diagonal and piece them together. Especially for a printed plaid.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:50 PM

I don't think bias binding is worth it unless you are doing scallops or a cute stripe.

I agree rather than doing continuous I would do more of a fussy cut for each length. If the fabric is printed crooked, good luck!
Old 06-23-2015, 01:25 PM

I use bias binding almost exclusively. I think it's a lot easier to work with, especially for mitering corners. But since I use bias binding anyway, I usually do rounded corners just because I hate mitering.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Bias binding wears much longer then straight cut binding. Usually it's the binding that shows the wear and tear first.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:39 PM

I use the McCall's quilting website video. It is free and I used this for the first bias binding I made for a scallop edge quilt It was a soft pink and off white stripe. It turned out so nicely, I couldn't believe I did it It seems almost magical to me. The instructions are for the tube method. It is easy to follow. I do have to have it up on my laptop when I do it so I can follow, step by step. I've used it two or three more times since then. ManiacQuilter2, it looks like you probably have yours finished up by now, but just wanted to add my 2 cents. Which method did you decide to use?