Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • "Easing" a Border >
  • "Easing" a Border

• "Easing" a Border

Old 09-25-2017, 08:55 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by AngelaS
    I had a similar issue and the ladies at the lqs suggested I spray the top of my quilt with a lightweight starch and give it a good pressing while stretching a bit. I had to do it twice, but I managed to make it stretch enough for my borders to fit.
    Have you washed the quilt since then, and did the stretched top stay stretched? I would be afraid that the stretching was only temporary and after washing (or even after just "relaxing") the wavy borders would appear.

Tartan - I really like the idea of a narrow inner border if it will go with your quilt's design. If that doesn't work, maybe re-make a few of the paper pieced block so that they are a bit smaller? Or if it works out with the design, replace a few of them with something else.
    Old 09-25-2017, 10:06 AM

Tartan, I added to the inner border and it fits. Thanks!

Watson
    Old 09-25-2017, 10:15 AM

That's great, Watson. I really liked that idea when I read it. I'll have to remember that. Good solution.
    Old 09-26-2017, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    1" is way too much to ease in. Especially if you plan on loading this on a frame, it will cause you untold amounts of angst and grief. Yes it will also result in wavy edges. I speak from experience here.

Are all 4 of your pieced borders too big? If so then you can put a narrow inner border to account for it as petthefabric suggested. If you post a pic of it we may be able to offer some other suggestions.
    I had this problem last year. My long-armer said it would be baggy and I needed to fix it. I added half an inch to the quilt before the border. That just added to the background, and worked very well.

You could also put on a tiny border all around the quilt, as in a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of gold, red, black etc. to frame the rest before your pieced border.
    Old 09-26-2017, 05:05 AM

Can you add a skinny narrow border before adding your PP pieced one?
    Old 09-26-2017, 05:39 AM

Could you add a very narrow inner border around the top to add your needed 1 inch? It would be cut 1" and finish at 1/5"
    Old 09-26-2017, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    Have you washed the quilt since then, and did the stretched top stay stretched? I would be afraid that the stretching was only temporary and after washing (or even after just "relaxing") the wavy borders would appear.

Tartan - I really like the idea of a narrow inner border if it will go with your quilt's design. If that doesn't work, maybe re-make a few of the paper pieced block so that they are a bit smaller? Or if it works out with the design, replace a few of them with something else.
    yes I have. I,waited to wash it until it had been all quilted and bound and you cannot tell. It looks fabulous.
    Old 09-26-2017, 02:23 PM

I'm with Dunster. It may be a fiddly job but the end result will make it worthwhile.
    Old 09-26-2017, 03:58 PM
    Power Poster

I had a round robin sent with a 2 1/2" border issue in one direction and over 1" in the other. By measuring across the center and using that measurement, I was able to get the beast squared off. Talk about feeling accomplished. Of course I divided both border and top into MANY segments and aligned the pieces by distributing the bulk over MANY increments.
    Old 09-27-2017, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I had a round robin sent with a 2 1/2" border issue in one direction and over 1" in the other. By measuring across the center and using that measurement, I was able to get the beast squared off. Talk about feeling accomplished. Of course I divided both border and top into MANY segments and aligned the pieces by distributing the bulk over MANY increments.
    Dear Mad,
    I would be mad, too!
    You went through a lot. That was a beast alright. But you have a real feeling of accomplishment. And now we're all happy!