Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Easy Lone Star Quilt Pattern Needed, Please >

Easy Lone Star Quilt Pattern Needed, Please

Easy Lone Star Quilt Pattern Needed, Please

Old 09-28-2010, 02:29 PM

Hi. I want to make a Lone Star Quilt with a Sunshine and Shadow effect, but there must be an easy way to do it out there, and if someone knows any tricks, I'd like very much to hear them! Thank you!!!!
Old 09-28-2010, 02:34 PM

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...ar/MoreInfo.do
Watch the video on this - it is a cool way - but I sure don't need any more templates myself - it is pretty nifty tho!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

I just use hst to make mine.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:31 AM

I strip pieced mine. Not all that hard. It was only the second quilt I made and it turned out very nice. I still need to finish the quilting on it, though. The toughest part is lining up the points. But I watched a quilt show, that showed an easy way to do that. It's been a couple of years now and I can't remember which show it was. It would have been either Sewing With Nancy, Quilt In A Day w/ Eleanor Burns or Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting. I just can't remember which one it was. I've attached a photo.

Lone Star - Strip Pieced
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109677[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-109672.jpe  
Old 09-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

I strip pieced mine as well. You need to make several strip sets then cut them at the correct angle. I simply made a template of the diamond and slid it under my ruler to get the right angle for the first cut. Then I rechecked the angle after every third cut or so. In the book Quilts! Quilts!! Quilts!!! there are really good directions for the strip peicing technique. Then when you join the strips together to form the star's arms you just need to offset your match 1/4", that took me a few tries to get but once I got it all my points matched. The star went together really quick but when I joined all the larger diamond units I did have to redo the center several times to get it right and not have a big bump in the middle. Also setting in the corner squares and side triangles you have to do a set in seam aka Y seam but as long as you allow for your seam allowance those parts weren't too much trouble.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:06 AM

You can purchase preprinted fusible interfacing that has the grid for the lonestar. It comes in several sizes, depending on how big you want to make the star.

www.quiltsmart.com
Old 09-29-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bluphrog
You can purchase preprinted fusible interfacing that has the grid for the lonestar. It comes in several sizes, depending on how big you want to make the star.

www.quiltsmart.com
Wow I just watched the video on this and I think even I could do that. Its an awesome concept and very easy. Thanks for sharing this information