Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Is quilting in general a dying art?

Forgive me if this has already been discussed... I know there was a topic on hand quilting possibly being a dying art, but what about quilting in general? I have turned one friend on to quilting, and have another one that's shown interest, but never got bit by the bug (she has memories working alongside her grandmother, but hasn't done anything in recent years). I am younger so I know I am in a different generation, but I really don't want to see it disappear. In recent years it seems like crocheting and knitting came back around, but I don't know about quilting just yet. Maybe it just hasn't caught on in our area? What do you think?

Blog Entries
    It think it could be a dieing art in some areas, but is definitely growing in other areas.

I think all of the fiber arts are making a comeback.
    It seems to kind of go in cycles which one is on the ascendency at a given time. With all the interest in the pieced totes, it looks like mainstream fashion is picking up on the interest in quilting.

Hopefully growing again with Boomers retiring and more time on there hands, might as well be filled with fabric :)

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I hope not. I've noticed a huge shift from hand to machine quilting since I started around 20 years ago. I still hand quilt but the reality is that it takes a looooong time to do!
    Machine quilting is very exciting to me. I can finish more quilts!! I will always hand quilt though. Great relaxation for me.
    I think people will always be creative and that makes me hopeful that while quilting changes and evolves it won't disappear :)

No I don't think it is a dieing art at all. It is big in this state!

I think that maybe sewing of garmets is not popular, but a respect for heritage is growing. Quilting has so many facets and can fit in with modern or traditional styles. There's something for everyone

Blog Entries
    I doubt it - there are 380 people on this website right now!

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLu
    I doubt it - there are 380 people on this website right now!
    That's exactly what I was thinking -- not according to this forum.

That's so good to hear! I guess in my area it's either not caught on, or maybe I just don't get out enough :P

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    It's not a dying in my area. But I live near Paducah so you know it's big here.

At over 3 billion a year I don't think it's dying.

This blog has some of the survey statistics.
    <http://with-heart-and-hands.blogspot...y-results.html>

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I also want to say that in the grade schools here one of the art projects they do is to make paper quilt blocks then they glue them to a larger piece of paper.

Quilters Newsletter released a study a few months ago on the average quilter and if you take a look at the average age of 62 and the market share of 14% you'd have to say that its a dying art.

here's a link to the report

http://www.quilts.com/announcements/...0_OneSheet.pdf

Maybe it's because I've recently started quilting and am looking for shops, magazines anything quilting, but I think it's coming back in this area of NC.

Just look at the pictures of national and international quilt shows. Quilts are more and more turning into fancy and sophisticated works of art, some worth thousands of $$. Is possible that traditional quilting may be slowing down, but I guess is to be expected. More and more quilters want to do their own designs, just like on any other form of art: creative expressions are worth more than copies.

I think sewing in general has really declined in the last few decades. It used to be a requirement in school for girls (& sometimes boys depending on the school) but now in many places it is not even offered. In the 80's there were fabric stores in most malls- where I lived anyhow & you never see that anymore either.

In my area of Connecticut it's pretty big. We have at least 6 quilt shops within driving distance along with Joann's.

I used to cross stitch (since the early 90's) and that seems to be fading a bit, but that comes and goes.

Since I'm relatively new to sewing and quilting, and because of the availability of shops in my area I'd like to think it's on the up side.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggiemay
    I think sewing in general has really declined in the last few decades. It used to be a requirement in school for girls (& sometimes boys depending on the school) but now in many places it is not even offered. In the 80's there were fabric stores in most malls- where I lived anyhow & you never see that anymore either.
    When my DD went to high school several years ago - their Home Ec teacher asked the girls if they wanted to learn to sew clothes or quilts and all the girls said quilts - so they all pieced quilts. My DD wound up making 3 quilt tops in three years. I had the first one machine quilted for her and she took it to her college dorm with her. Then the other tops were here after she graduated from college and moved to Paducah - so I had them machine quilted and gave them to her at two different wedding showers tha she had.

I think its thriving - but they may just be me with all my fabric purchases (wink wink) - I think it cycles like anything else - but once you are bit by the bug its hard to shake and there are so many ways to be creative with quilting - so I vote for thriving. just my opinion.

I don't know the answer, but I am 62 and have only been quilting a year. I guess I am in those statistics somewhere!! :) Truthfully, based on how busy the fabric stores seem to always be, I don't think it is a dying art. I certainly hope not.

I think quilting is a changing art. I see more and more people quilting, but they seem to be making more art quilts and wall hangings than bed or utility quilts. Like all other crafts it comes and goes. I know personally I drift from one hobby to another from time to time. I do hope hand crafts of all kinds will be making a come back. I think it is important to know how to create and maintain items for our home and family.

Like many art forms, quilting is morphic and cyclical... from functional, to artistic, quilts have always had a story to tell whether following a pattern or creating a one of a kind work of art. Its an expression of the quilt creator.

My five YOD today, asked when I was going to teach her to sew and to make her own quilt, "I see how much fun you have mommy, cuz' you smile when you sew, and you make nice quilts for people".

Quilting a dying form? I think not!

We're dying? Not a chance! If you've any doubt, just go google quilting.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    At over 3 billion a year I don't think it's dying.

This blog has some of the survey statistics.
    <http://with-heart-and-hands.blogspot...y-results.html>
    Darn, that article is gone :(

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast