Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is quilting in general a dying art?

Banned
    wht area of the country do you live

Blog Entries
    It started resurging during the Centennial and took off from there, increasing every year. However, in the last few years I've seen a decrease. The decrease was starting even before the crash of 2008 but has accelerated ever since.

Here's what I've noticed. Our state's quilt guild has fewer members and they've had to cut back on office staff hours. There are a lot fewer quilting books in the crafts section of the two bookstores I frequent. (There used to be 3 rows of quilting books; now there's not even 1.) Plus, I notice fewer and fewer new titles making it to the bookstores. I see fewer quilters buying fabrics at my fabric fabric haunts (can always spot a quilter by her fabric selection!). The quilt shops I get to are less crowded than they used to be, and several have gone out of business. I myself am not buying fabric, patterns and books in the quantities I used to. Also, there are fewer innovative ideas coming on the market compared to previous years. (Hate to admit it, but I think I was at one of the very first demo's of a rotary cutter and mat. We all thought it was a truly revolutionary concept, and it was! Still remember the guy demonstrating the pizza cutter and being amazed at how fast he could cut strips.)

There does seem to be growth in the longarm machines for home quilters -- many more options now than there were even just a few years ago.

I have found here in Australia that its actually really starting to take off. When I started quilting 10 years ago, you had to really hunt for supplies and decent fabric, but now its easy to find, and out local Spotlight (like Joanns in the states) has everything that a quilter needs. More and more LQS are popping up too.

I think all sewing was a dying art but it seems to be coming back over here, the quilt shows are getting more and more people visit them, and there is certainly more fabric and notions now than ever so presumable there must more interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    wht area of the country do you live
    I am in central NC - a mid size town/city. We just got our first quilt shop last year - three sisters just wanting to share their hobby. They have grown so much in the last year, so maybe that's a good sign! I'm fortunate b/c most of their fabric goes for $4.98/yd, with the Moda that they have at $8.98. They are great bargain hunters so they get some good stuff at great prices... hopefully that will be encouraging for some in our area since WalMart got rid of their fabric section and the other craft store seems to be decreasing. It's never really busy though... one day I was their first and only customer which was sad. I guess they are doing well enough to stay open though. We do have a guild, but I have no idea what size it is.

I really have nothing to compare to as to how it was, as I am the only one in my family that owns a sewing machine and been quilting for less than two years. But, I travel around the country a lot for work and stay in different places, and I can tell you the quilting scene is defintely varies.

Wow, moonangel, those are GREAT prices!
    I live in Southern Wi, and I think its doing pretty good here too. I think the recession here and high unemployment has made people change their spending habits....we dont spend as much. The quilt shops arent busy, but anything listed on craigslist sewing related goes fast! I worry about the quilt shops, I try to buy there when I can!

Banned
    It's a multi-billion dollar business.
    Leads me to doubt it's dying.

Blog Entries
    Quilting seems to be changing, but certainly not dying! Just look at all the quilt magazines in the local grocery stores! And sites on the internet.

The advent of machine quilting has made it far more (what's the word?) possible? for working folks, too. Some great progress can be made in hours instead of days.

There are so many variations of themes and sizes and styles. It is/has evolved into an art style for many rather than for utility.

Quilting seems to be doing rather well!
    How many newbies (me included) do we welcome here every day?!
    Keep on stitching!

Blog Entries
    do you think the internet has changed quilting? how about all the new computer sewing machines that do everything except kiss you good night? maybe we were all out there but didn't know it until we found this board! i do see a lot of art quilts and they're georgeous but when i make a quilt i want someone to sleep under it. i'm trying to interest everyone i can in quilting from a group at church to a group from our local wilbur d mills rehab center.

15yr old GD is very creative and had opted to take Art for her GCSE exam, however now she has discovered my fabric stash and has made some cushions she has changed her course to Art and Textiles!!! How proud am I!! Her younger sister(13) has made a patchwork cushion for her mum and with the leftover scraps made a little bag!! Hopefully they are inspired to carry on. They both are confident using a sewing machine. We bought a basic machine for eldest GD to help with her coursework and she uses it a lot.

In our area, there are two guilds and four quilt stores. So, I don't think it's a dying art. But, I do think sewing/making clothes is not as great as it used to be.

Blog Entries
    I think its a changing art not a dying art. Our grandmothers made quilts to keep the family warm but now we make them for show.
    Does anyone hand quilt anymore? Everyone seems to have their quilts machine quilted.

Hi Moonangel12,
    Here in Britain it is a fast improving art, especially machine quilting ! The last 20 years or so it has really grown all over the country. I am a very late - commer to quilting, I started last year when I retired. I am completely hooked, it has taken my entire life over, I just love it ! I am still doing everything by hand, which I like . The only sad thing is that our avalability and choice of fabrics is nothing like as good as yours in the US.
    Mad Gertie from Kent

I stopped in Bloomingdales Department Store yesterday to take a look at the Ralph Lauren Fall/Winter quilts that were advertised. 9 Patch, Log cabin, and some additional that I can't recall. Can it be that a top retailer has hit a nerve, that quilting has such a special look that it is important? Can his design be reflecting what is really going on in America? I think so.

This is the location for quilts on the Ralph Lauren website. They are not as impressively laid out as in the store as there were some displayed on beds with wonderful choices for sheets. You know display work. It is fantastic when some one really cares.
    http://www.ralphlauren.com/family/in...ewall&view=all

Within 35 miles of me are 4 quilt shops (one is new). Within 60 miles are 6. I don't think it's dying. We also have 2 shops that sell sewing machines and longarms. We also have a Hancocks and a Joanns. I think the only place quilting/sewing is dying out is at Walmart. All the shows that pop up on different channels that are dedicated to sewing, all the quilt fabric stores online.......naw, I think it's a booming business!

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    Within 35 miles of me are 4 quilt shops (one is new). Within 60 miles are 6. I don't think it's dying. We also have 2 shops that sell sewing machines and longarms. We also have a Hancocks and a Joanns. I think the only place quilting/sewing is dying out is at Walmart. All the shows that pop up on different channels that are dedicated to sewing, all the quilt fabric stores online.......naw, I think it's a booming business!
    Wow! I just can't imagine that many options being so close! That's great!

Here, in the middle of the country, we gain quilt members, in our guild, almost every month. We have two neat quilt shops and both give classes for every level of student and the classes are always full. Lots of young moms are taking up quilting. We have a daytime and an evening guild so the younger people can still share what they are doing. Lots of these bring their quilting to work and stitch on breaks and lunch hours. Someone sees what they are doing and they are teaching others on their breaks.

Forgot, just read somewhere that quilting was a 3.8 billion dollar business. Might have been in a quilt magazine? Just call it a senior moment. grin

Quilting like any other art has recycle periods. Years ago, beads were the thing and people got tired of them. Now they're back. My mother used to say about clothing designs, "Wait 20 years and it will be back."

Our guild has 186 members. It started with 25 in 1984.

There are 21.3 million quilters in the USA, and it is a 3.58 billion dollar industry.

IMHO it is a resurgent art. 30 years ago when I first quilted, no one was doing it. Now I seem to meet quilters around every corner. And if they don't quilt, they know someone who does.

Blog Entries
    I think it is actually growing in popularity! All the classes that I attend are filled with people from about 30's and up...lots of the younger set. So..thats good news, right??!

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    It will never die and it can be revived. Swedish Weaving and Huck Embroidery that was so popular in the 30's and 40's has had a rebirth and quilting can do the same. Teach your daughters and granddaughters.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast