Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Is quilting in general a dying art?

Personally I think there has been a resurgence in quilting over the last number of years and seems to be growing interest all the time.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

I think that quilting is alive and growing in areas where empty nesters are settling or there is an increase in the retiree population. I have always loved working with fabric and when I went from "the salon" to a yarn mill, I was drawn to quilting as a creative outlet. The fabrics available now are just so beautiful, I would have to have them in the house even if I didn't quilt. Am I a fabriholic? Ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6
    I think all of the fiber arts are making a comeback.
    It seems to kind of go in cycles which one is on the ascendency at a given time. With all the interest in the pieced totes, it looks like mainstream fashion is picking up on the interest in quilting.
    I agree about the cycles -- just look at the styles in clothing. The seventies look seems to be all the rage today. And at 70, that style just doesn't DO for me.

:lol:

Looking back at the different crafts, etc. I dove into -- first, of course it was making all of my clothing, and then the girls', then it was decoupage lessons, macrame lessons, oil painting, smocking, heirloom sewing, cake decorating, quilting. Aahh, at last quilting! Oh, and scrapbooking, quilting...........

omt
    I did the newsletter for my quilt guild last year & found the following information on quilting. In 2000 Quilter's Newletter had a survey of 2500 quilters in U.S.

They found Total U.S. Quilting Industry Value
    $118.02 average annual household expenditure, a 17.3% increase over 1997
    $1,836,456,111 total annual U.S. quilting expenditure ($1.836 Billion dollars)
    Value of U.S. quilting industry has increased 51.6% since 1997**

I don't know if there is a more recent survey, but I am sure expenditures are down because of the economy

MNM

Quote Originally Posted by moonangel12
    Forgive me if this has already been discussed... I know there was a topic on hand quilting possibly being a dying art, but what about quilting in general? I have turned one friend on to quilting, and have another one that's shown interest, but never got bit by the bug (she has memories working alongside her grandmother, but hasn't done anything in recent years). I am younger so I know I am in a different generation, but I really don't want to see it disappear. In recent years it seems like crocheting and knitting came back around, but I don't know about quilting just yet. Maybe it just hasn't caught on in our area? What do you think?
    In my area you cannot spit without hitting a quilter , weaver, spinner,knitter or crocheter. We have so many little quilting groups that meet in private homes or at the schools or Fair Grounds. Hundreds of quilters in classes. Our LQS has some kind of class going all the time. And don't forget the quilting cruises. On my bucket list to do. MNM

Banned
    over here where quiltiing is very far between I think that it is slowly growing , a very small local group displayed their quilts last year and have had several join them since BUT the new additions with the exception of one are over age 60!!

e4
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    Quilters Newsletter released a study a few months ago on the average quilter and if you take a look at the average age of 62 and the market share of 14% you'd have to say that its a dying art.

here's a link to the report

http://www.quilts.com/announcements/...0_OneSheet.pdf
    The average age may be high compared to some other hobbies, but as people get older they often move to projects that are more focused indoors, where the set-up (machines!) cost more, and are relaxing after they get home from work or retire. And frankly a market share of 14% is pretty high. Many companies would love to have 14% of people buying their products - that's still a lot of people and a lot of money!

Banned
    over here where quiltiing is very far between I think that it is slowly growing , a very small local group displayed their quilts last year and have had several join them since BUT the new additions with the exception of one are over age 60!!

Banned

Banned
    sorry how silly ,posted twice.

Oh,oh,ho,ho, I don't think so!! And, thank goodness for that. Ever since starting quilting, I have found more people asking me to make quilts for them. It is not so much that it is dying as it is that many people either don't know how to quilt but would love to, or they just don't have time. Either way, quilting has become more popular than ever, especially among quilters in the 20's to late 30's age range. There is definitely a huge "cult following."

Blog Entries
    I would say it's a dying art in my area. Not too many women are interested in general sewing, and much less quilting, especially the now generation in the area. It's easier to shop at Walmart and pick a manufactured Duvet/Bedspread/Quilt than to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by cctx.
    I would say it's a dying art in my area. Not too many women are interested in general sewing, and much less quilting, especially the now generation in the area. It's easier to shop at Walmart and pick a manufactured Duvet/Bedspread/Quilt than to make it.
    Isn't that sad?

Or maybe they buy the Walmart quilts because they really want a quilt but know they don't have the time and skills to make one. But when that one falls apart and the kids are a little older and they have more time they'll take up quilting so they can get the exact colors, design and quality they really want.

Or maybe they buy the Walmart quilts because they really want a quilt but know they don't have the time and skills to make one. But when that one falls apart and the kids are a little older and they have more time they'll take up quilting so they can get the exact colors, design and quality they really want.
    That's a positive way to look at it.

Blog Entries
    judging by how fast this Board has grown over the past few months, it's not a dying art! I used to feel like I knew everyonw who was posting. Now I feel like there's a dozen more people to get to know every day. That's a GOOD thing thoughLOLOLOLOLOL :lol: :lol:

I saw the results of that survey also. However as an educator who has been working with the younger generations since 1975 I can tell you younger quilters are from generations that don't do surveys. This is not their medium of communication so I think the results are a little off. They are quilting and involved in all of the fiber arts, but they don't communicate in the same way. They also as a whole won't identify with the current "quilt show" way of display and competition. Got to get younger minds expanding this area to be more inclusive. Not saying I know how to do this, just that this is the reality.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grammyp
    I think quilting is a changing art. I see more and more people quilting, but they seem to be making more art quilts and wall hangings than bed or utility quilts. Like all other crafts it comes and goes. I know personally I drift from one hobby to another from time to time. I do hope hand crafts of all kinds will be making a come back. I think it is important to know how to create and maintain items for our home and family.
    I agree. I, too, am involved in many types of hand crafts; however, I am a devoted quilter.

I sure hope not, it would very sad if quilting and in fact any crafts that let you use you imagination were to die out. I tell all my younger neighbors and friends about quilting and encourage them to visit me to see how relaxing and fun it is. I guess it the whole saying of what goes around comes around some things go out of favor and then in a few years it is back. I will keep spreading the word.

Maybe I just lucked in, but almost all of the people I know around here quilt. Young people are learning too so maybe people will swing around to handwork and creating nice things. Women just like to pretty up things, look at the tea towels and such in the old times.

Art forms seem to have trends just like the types of TV shows we watch and the topics of books that are written. I don't want to see quilting become a dying art form. It's a tradition that needs to be passed along just like knitting or crochet. There won't be quilters unless we keep the younger generation interested. Train up a child...

I think it's hugely popular here in Minnesota. With our long winters, we have lots of time indoors to make quilts. I still work on them in other months, tho, too, year round actually.

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLu
    I doubt it - there are 380 people on this website right now!
    This has been my obversation in my world, too. Our quilt grp. in Ariz.where I spend the winter started with just 3 or 4 people but now the whole clubhouse is taken up with quilters every Wed. That doesn't even count the people who work at their own homes instead of carrying all of their stuff to the clubhouse. The sound of buzzing machines & women's chatter is quilte a site. I think it's a fluorishing craft.

Blog Entries
    when i first started at 7 in 1966 i think it was. it took off around here in 1976 (the bi centennial) that's when i really strated making them alot for everyone, and haven't stopped since then. i'm over 300 now, close to 350, with over 150 as donations to charities.

Quilting is coming back, yes, my belief is that most of us Baby Boomers are now retired, empty nests or widows and reaching back to a slower time. We now have time to sew, quilt and teach younger people in the family. It is suprising to find that many younger people 12 - 40 years old will get the bug if someone introduces them to the joy of creating with fabric. Take someone to a local quilt show that will inspire an interest, then a class they are hooked.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4