Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Easy Quilter at quilt show.  Anyone have one? >

Easy Quilter at quilt show. Anyone have one?

Easy Quilter at quilt show. Anyone have one?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:21 AM

A large quilt is done in sections. I am not aware of a stitch regulator at all. This is just a wood table top frame and any home domestic sewing machine. I have a Babylock Ellure & Babylock Melody. Each with approx 7-8" harp. That is all I use. Yes, it is more time consuming the smaller quilting area then having to adjust. But it works for me.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:31 AM

with the wood frame, how long before the wheels start eating into the wood? Really need to talk to someone that has made several quilts with it.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:48 AM

FYI...The lady I bought this from made several quilts on it. I have made 2 and the wood is a very hard wood with no markings at all on the area that the wheels glide on. I have tried the demo's at 2 quilt shows and never noticed any problem.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:59 AM

Thanks for the info.
One more question, does it do pantagraphs or do you mark your quilt first before quilting?
My machine has a 9 1/2 in. throat, its a Viking Sapphire.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:23 AM

I just do meadering at this time. I don't think a panto will work with it. I plan in the near future to mark a quilt and try that.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

If your machine has a 9.5-inch harp, then you would probably want to get the 5.1 version. That is the one I tried out at the quilt show and really liked. It gives you quite a bit of space in which to quilt.

It really isn't made for pantographs.

It was *so* much easier to use the Easy Quilter and quilt by moving the machine instead of the quilt! That's what I liked about it. At the show, the demonstrator had me "floor" the sewing machine pedal and it was very easy to FMQ leaves, circles, etc. At 1600 stitches per minute, that was a lot of fun!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:48 PM

I tested it too, and have been wondering about investing in one too. Both space and money saving, if it works. hmmmm.....
Old 10-21-2012, 03:43 PM

Smile I bought one at the Dallas Quilt Show!

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Here is a link to the version 5.1 I tried out at the quilt show today:
http://www.easyquilter.com/eq1.htm

It was set up on a table with a Janome 1600p. Basically you sit down, grasp the handles, "floor" the pedal, and start free motion quilting by moving the machine around. This was a lot easier than trying to move the quilt around on my Bernina 1230! It was very fast and easy to make flowers, circles, loops, and with even stitching to boot.

The quilt show price for this setup was $550 plus tax, but it is for the deeper harp machines (which my Bernina is not). For my Bernina, I would need the smaller version 4.1 for $450.

I'm just wondering if anyone who has an Easy Quilter can tell me how much they like it. I'm especially wondering if it would be as much fun if I were using the smaller setup with my Bernina with its slower stitching speed.

Any comments about this system would be much appreciated!
--------------------

I bought one of these at the Dallas Quilt Show this year! I can hardly wait to try it but have been scared to open the box and set it up because the only machine I have that might work with it is my Singer 301. I took the flap down side extension off of it so I can use it on the frame. I have a strip quilt top made that I've been putting off doing anything with because it needs to be stippled and I'm no good at doing that or any other FMQ by pushing my quilts around. BUT, at the show I had no problem using the EZ Quilter to do meandering and stippling. I don't have a stitch regulator, of course, so I'm on my own with the foot control.

The fellow demonstrating the frame and machine said to spray baste the quilt together first.

With a home machine the quilting area is only about 11" wide max. But that's fine because one can go back and forth across the quilt (side to side). If it is a larger quilt, work is from the center out much like doing the same thing on the sewing machine without a frame.

It is possible to do larger quilts on this small frame - it just takes maneuvering the quilt to the required area.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:01 AM

Just to jump in here... If you are looking for a table top quilter, don't rule out some of the other frame makers... SuperQuilter had one. I don't think they make it any more but if you search for them online you can find one used for about if not less than the Easy Quilter - and it can go up to 8 or 10' if I remember right. HandiQuilter also sold a table top frame as well. That one went to 10' as well I'm pretty sure. I have seen them on Craigslist fairly often and both would give you a wider area for quilting a larger quilt - and it's the same concept.. you set it up when you want to use it and put it on top of a sturdy table.

I would definitely only use it with a minimum of a 9" throated machine because once you roll the quilt a bit, your quilting space gets smaller and smaller and smaller... a 6" regular machine throat would not give you much to work with other than a wiggly line when you get to the middle to bottom of a large quilt.

For example.. I just did a whole Craigslist google search for "table top quilter site:Craigslist.org" and came up with a bunch of them - that Easy Quilter was the first entry.. from there you just need to look through and find one local enough for you to drive and get it You can also search for "handiquilter quilt frame site:craigslist.org" and "superquilter quilt frame site:craigslist.org" and you will get even more results of frames that people are selling.

There are also some standalone frames that are designed to fold up against a wall when not in use. That is another option too

You can save a lot of money getting one used... and this way if you don't personally like using it or you upgrade to a larger frame, you can resell it and not take a big if any loss.
I would just hold steady, keep an eye on the listings in your drivable area and then jump when you see something you would like
Old 10-22-2012, 06:19 AM

I have one I would sell..I'm moving on to a long arm. PM me.