Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Economic and basic sewing machine? >

Economic and basic sewing machine?

Economic and basic sewing machine?

Old 05-21-2015, 01:01 PM

Default Economic and basic sewing machine?

Hello,

I currently have a 1950's White sewing machine in a cabinet. It works great but I want something portable. Any suggestions on an economic and basic sewing machine? By economic I mean worth the price but won't break the bank. I don't need a computerized machine or anything like that. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2015, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

you could look for a featherweight... their popularity has caused the price to rise. but they are very portable and cute, too
Old 05-21-2015, 02:44 PM

Walmart has a Brother for $199. that many quilters around here are liking. (I think it is a Brother.) It even comes with a 1/4 inch foot!

Dina
Old 05-21-2015, 03:38 PM

I, too, would look for a FW. They can be had for a reasonable price if you are willing to be patient and diligent! Barring that, a small, cheap WM (or other big box store) machine would fit the bill. Then again, there are other vintage portable machines (99's come to mind) in bentwood boxes/cases that can also be had very reasonably and would also be a good choice.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:50 PM

I really like my little featherweights but before I got them I got a little Europro. It came from HSN and I have had it close to 5 years now. It doesn't get a lot of use but it is light weight, portable and has a zig-zag stitch and has the extension table. My sister has a portable Brother machine she got from Costco. She has had it for at least 15 years and uses it a lot. I asked her what the model was and she just said it was the quilting version Bother that Costco sells.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:40 PM

any low end brother would fit the bill. I have had several but love my walmart model the best.
Its a little workhorse
Old 05-21-2015, 05:21 PM

I really like my Singer featherweight and take it to classes or to 'sew in' days with a group of ladies I sew with for the benefit of a community organization.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:16 PM

I'm not sure if this is in your budget, but for value for money, the new(ish) Pfaff Passport is a lot of machine for the money, with added advantage of IDT - the built-in walking foot.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:20 AM

Most of the people I know who have featherweights love them although their owners seem to me to spend an inordinate amount of time fiddling with repairs/adjustments of some kind or taking them to the shop. Saying that will not make me a popular poster! If I needed a portable, I would go to WalMart for a Brother. There are several models at different prices and the people who bring them to sewdays, workshops, etc., seem to enjoy them. My machine is a Janome 4800 and I love it. froggyintexas
Old 05-22-2015, 05:30 AM

If you want a full-size machine, Singer 301's are designed to be portable and some have beds that fold up like the Featherweights do. I haven't sewn on one myself but everybody I know who uses a 301 just loves it.

I'm trying to wheedle one out of a coworker right now but so far she isn't budging, LOL. She almost never uses it, but she still won't let go of it!