Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Eleanor Burns >

Eleanor Burns

Eleanor Burns

Old 10-30-2011, 12:26 PM

I love her positive attitude, always smiling. The first quilt I made was from her pattern Log Cabin in a Day. And I have since made some from her other patterns. I don't think I have learned about other women as much as I have about her.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:27 PM

Hi, I have taken instructions from Eleanor and Sue to be able to teach her techniques. She is as down to earth as she appears. She takes the time to listen when you have something to contribute. She is a stickler for using the correct rulers for her techniques, I don't blame her they are her bread and butter. She is one of many instructors, you can take something away from any of them, but please incorporate them at your own level.
Charlie
Old 10-30-2011, 12:35 PM

I have met Eleanor Burns several times. She actually is one of our local celebrities. I attended her 3 day Quilting Academy as well.

I think she is one of the best "quilting experts" we have. Her books are very well written and easy to follow for a beginner but also challenge the more experienced quilter. I recommend her books to all beginners because with her help anyone can learn to piece a quilt successfully.

As for her personally, I think she is one of the best people I have ever had the good fortune to meet. I assure you, you will never meet a more gracious, kind, generous, humble, sweet soul than her.

It is patently obvious that she loves what she does, and she takes such great joy in knowing she has inspired someone to try their hand in making a quilt.

She is incredibly successful, having written over 100 books, owns two shops, and has her own TV studio where she films her TV show. None of this has gone to her head. She really is very down to earth, and so approachable. She is a delightful woman, and from what I have heard, her sister Pat is as well.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:55 PM

love her teaching here is a site for those of you that aren't familiar with her

http://vimeo.com/quiltinaday/videos/sort:date
Old 10-30-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Teach
Originally Posted by dottientx
I'm happy to read so many love her. She may be a great teacher and a lovely person but I can't stand to listen to her programs. She acts like she's talking to a bunch of 1st graders who haven't a brain one and is talking like we're at our first day in school. We're adults, not children so talk to us like we're adults. Even the way she tosses her scraps of fabric over her shoulder is not for me. I hate it that she makes me feel this way but that's the way she affects me. I'm sorry Eleanor that you affect me that way but no thanks! I may be missing a lot but not when I end up feeling frustrated like she makes me feel.
I'm sorry to have to admit, too, that her voice and her ways of speaking to her listeners turns me off, too. It has made me likely miss a lot, and I have been
thinking of that, so I've made a commitment to explore her web site and try to get beyond this effect on me. I'm happy to read how much most people love and respect her.

Some people think she is "too sugary" or talking down to her listeners. I am sorry she is seen that way, because she truly is a very genuine person, loves her students, and would never want to offend or insult their intelligence.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:00 PM

Love Eleanor!
Old 10-30-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
eleanor burns is my fav. and i really respect her for rising from pinching pennies to leading a huge quilting empire. i have not met her, but it has been said that she is as nice in person as she is in her videos.
She should be deeply admired for all she has accomplished.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:13 PM

Eleanor Burns is one of my Favorites. Find her quilting book instructions very easy to follow. Found her Pioner Quilt Book informative as to types of quilts were made by the women of the Westward Movement.

Met her sister,equally as nice, a few years ago at a Quilt Guild meeting in Casa Grande, Az when I lived there.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:23 PM

Just love Eleanor Burns. I have learned so much from her videos. She is a really genuine person, making patchwork so easy to follow and sharing so many little stories including a bit of history. Long may she continue.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:23 PM

Just love Eleanor Burns. I have learned so much from her videos. She is a really genuine person, making patchwork so easy to follow and sharing so many little stories including a bit of history. Long may she continue.