Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Eleanor Burns >

Eleanor Burns

Eleanor Burns

Old 10-30-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Originally Posted by Barb44
I like her quilting techniques and her teaching style - makes it look easy. But I have not read any of her books on quilt history. I was not aware she had written any. I will have to look for them.
Most of her newer books have some history in them.
Victory Quilts is about WWII
Underground Railroad is about the slaves and the 'underground railroad'
and others.....
Great reading and inspirational.
When I did pick up various quilting shows on TV I particularly like to see EB as guest on Simply Quilts, etc. I no longer get any of those shows. Her methods are straight forward and easy for me to follow. The only one of her books that I have is the one about the Underground Railroad. The directions are easy to follow and the pictures are right on. I've read that the story portrayed is not actually true, but that doesn't matter to me. I love the story.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:36 PM

I like her and I think she is a good teacher.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Barb44
I like her quilting techniques and her teaching style - makes it look easy. But I have not read any of her books on quilt history. I was not aware she had written any. I will have to look for them.

The stories are in her patterns. You learn as you sew. Ipod of the '70's.
:lol:
Old 10-30-2011, 01:49 PM

I have briefly met her, and can tell you that she is the most genuine, kind, and nice person that you can meet. She is generous with her time, talents, and gives so much to the quilting community. Her books have saved me from some scary beginner problems, and has eased me into confidence with my quilting. I admire her for her past, her dedication to her followers, and her attention to detail for patterns in history. I can thank her for my introduction into the world of quilting. As a truely beginning quilter I went on my first LQS quilt run, and found that I was totally hooked. I entered my completed run sheet at the Quilt in a Day shop, and (surprise!) won the prize gift basket. It contained everything I needed, and more, to get started! She probably has no idea of who I am, or the impact that she has made to my life. I wouln't be surprised if her contributions to quilting haven't touched many more lives too. I am forever grateful.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:32 PM

I like Eleanor Burns-she came to Quilting Around Chataqua 2 years ago. Very good show and very nice person. Her sister Pat comes to our quilt quild and shows her quilts and gives a great talk. They are originally from Zelianople,Pa.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:11 PM

My very first quilt was a log cabin and I made it from Eleanor Burns book. Her cutting charts and stacking/sewing instructions are so amazingly simple, ANYONE can follow her lead. I have approximately a dozen of her books in my quilting library (I love dyeing my own fabric; that's another whole section!) and would advise any and all beginning quilters to START w/Eleanor. I've taken classes in many wonderful techniques from dozens of instructors, but still use the basics I learned from Eleansor's Log Cabin Quilts book. Josi in FL
Old 10-30-2011, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

I like Eleanor Burns and had the privilege of meeting her in Paduca. She took the time with all of us ladies who had a book for her sign and even chit chatted for a minute. Have a few of her books and like how she explains what to do.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:25 PM

I love Eleanor Burns, She is a very bright and gifted lady, I have learned a great deal from her. :thumbup:
Old 10-30-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
well i haven't read her books on quilts but yes, i do like her. not her voice so much. i watch her shows with the volume down low. She is a good teacher.
i like her lots i had my picture made with her in the nashville quilting show a few years a go mary
Old 10-30-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
As a women's history student I would like to know, how has Eleanor Burns's books about vintage quilts helped you in your understanding of women's history? Did you learn some history from her books? Have you been inspired to make a vintage-style quilt because of something you read in her books? Do you even LIKE Eleanor Burns? LOL I'm really looking forward to your answers. :) Thanks!
Eleanor Burn's Quilt in a Day books re-ligitimized a craft that had fallen between the cracks as women began to work outside their homes and had less time for sewing anything, much less quilts. I do not recall--that doesn't mean it wasn't there--any direct references to history in the Quilt in a Day books, but I was aware because of having books of vintage patterns that her techniques made it possible for women with limited time to get involved in a craft that is both useful and artful. Any author who encourages respect for the work women do, whether quilting, cooking, cleaning, or preaching has a reach that is immensely important. froggyintexas