Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Electric Quilt 7 or other quilt designing program

Red face Electric Quilt 7 or other quilt designing program

How many of you use a program to design your quilts? I started with Quilt Pro, but decided about 3 years ago when I changed to a PC to change to EQ. I love it! I have so many ideas and color schemes saved in my program. I often start with a small drawing on paper so I won't forget what I want to do and then put it into the program the next chance I get. Saves time so that I can try designs out without cutting and sewing until I am ready that is!
    Kathleen Clendennen
    www.thequiltgal.com

I love scanning in the actual fabric I want to use and seeing how the colors will look in the design. I love the program.

Blog Entries
    i have EQ5... never found the need to upgrade. i just love the program!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    EQ6 and eventually would like to upgrade. LOVE it - I don't know how I lived without it!
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

I'm still on EQ6. Maybe might upgrade???

I really like the ability to play around with designs and then sizes. It is much easier for me to visualize. I also get to play around for friends. I even have it on my little notebook so I can play around if I have a long wait in an airport or such.

You are right. It does save on material and time.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Started with EQ6, upgraded to 7, love it and use it all the time.

Love it! I send pictures of my designs to my kids and ask their opinion. E.g.: do they like the one with three borders or two borders? I always get inspiration from them. It is so easy to design a quilt the size I want it to be which is always plenty long to cover the toesies of the recipient if it is a lap quilt.

Blog Entries
    Oh my! I have had EQ 7 twice (one I bought, tried it and sold it!! and the second time it was a gift) and I can't figure the darn thing out!!! I personally don't think it is an easy program to learn but I know some of you ladies here on the board can whip up a design in a matter of minutes!!! Maybe some day I will master it (or maybe just figure out how to use it!!)
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    I find thumbnail fabric pics online and just import to EQ7. Also it is much easier to take a digital picture of my fabric and import that then to scan fabric. I have all the fabric in my stash in the EQ fabric library.
    Got fabric?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have EQ 7. Have designed several quilts. Am working on making the latest one and hope to submit it for judging at our local quilt guild quilt show.

QG

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    I've thought about buying EQ 7 but... well, I'm a procrastinator and...

I'm sure it's a wonderful tool/toy. If you have a hard time deciding on a quilt design and/or fabrics, does having EQ7 make it easier or harder to decide?

Does the time you spend designing always result in an actual quilt, or is it possible (likely?) that you could spend a whole LOT of time just designing and re-designing and never actually ... sewing anything?

QM
    I have both. I can't imagine designing without a quilting program. QuiltPro is by far my fav. It will also import fabrics easily.

Blog Entries
    Went to my cousin's to test drive EQ6, Loved it. Came home and ordered it (eq7) this morning. Quilt In A Day has it on sale and free shipping. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by PaperPrincess; 10-13-2012 at 05:54 AM.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    Oh my! I have had EQ 7 twice (one I bought, tried it and sold it!! and the second time it was a gift) and I can't figure the darn thing out!!! I personally don't think it is an easy program to learn but I know some of you ladies here on the board can whip up a design in a matter of minutes!!! Maybe some day I will master it (or maybe just figure out how to use it!!)
    Oh, I wish I could drive over and help you! I agree, it is not an easy program to learn (and I was a computer programmer for 30+ years!). But, once I understood a few of the basics I was off and running - it is great fun and a great tool for auditioning fabrics in your design.

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
    I've thought about buying EQ 7 but... well, I'm a procrastinator and...

I'm sure it's a wonderful tool/toy. If you have a hard time deciding on a quilt design and/or fabrics, does having EQ7 make it easier or harder to decide?

Does the time you spend designing always result in an actual quilt, or is it possible (likely?) that you could spend a whole LOT of time just designing and re-designing and never actually ... sewing anything?
    So far, I have only designed what I PLAN on sewing. However, I can design much faster than I can make a quilt and so I have a dozen or so quilts that are waiting to be made!