Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Eleonor Burns

Eleonor Burns

I love watching her on TV. Yesterday, I watched her show on the Tennessee Waltz pattern. She is just too cute for words. "And, lookie here..isn't that matching point darling?" I just love her! And, I always learn some new technique when I Watch her. My hubbie will bellow across the house "Honey, the quilt lady is on TV!!!" Then, he sits and watches it with me. Yesterday, he said, "she really lays on the sweetness a little thick". My response, "That's Eleonor!!" Lol! Do any of you ever watch her shows?
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    I didn't know she had a tv show! How fun is that! She is my absolute favorite quilting celebrity. I have so many of her books and patterns. I love how well she explains everything and her style. I still get a kick how she tosses her scraps over her shoulder! Eleanor is a pure gem in the quilting world!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

She has a show on the farm network. RFD...something..something... It's a Midwest channel on my cable that airs info mostly to farmers (farm reports and tractor auction site) but it has an occasional craft show...like quilting. She might be on PBS, too. I giggle when she flips scraps over her shoulder....lol! She rocks!
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

When I first started quilting in 2014, I attended Mountain Quilt Fest with my Aunt, and took a class with Eleanor Burns. She is wonderful, funny, and an inspiration. That is when I got hooked! Many classes since then but none as fun. The next day on a shop hop, the quilt store was packed, in walked Eleanor and Sue Bachard. Everyone stood in awe. What does Eleanor do she calls out to me and my Aunt by name. People were staring. It was so sweet of her. Made us feel like rock stars!!

Blog Entries
    I started quilting because of Eleanor Burns. Back in the 1980's when you could order a pattern out of Canadian Living Magazine for one of her Quilt in a Day patterns. I still have that quilt all these years later.

I was extra lucky to meet her at breakfast when I went to Puyallup 2 years ago. She was staying in the same hotel. I thanked her very much for turning me onto quilting. She was delightful.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

She is a hoot! I saw her in person in Paducah years ago, during quilt show week, in her huge tent. She really is one of a kind, loves to make us laugh while learning.

Blog Entries
    she is not on our channel lineup here. but i used to love to watch her. some of my quilting books have come and gone, but i'll never get rid of hers!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I love Eleanor too. She is always pleasant even after a long day with a crowd around her. I saw her at a quilt expo. Her patterns are easy to follow. Her shows on the RFD channel are old ones but I rewatch them anyway. Her website has her shows for free and she has live things on Facebook. Probably then they go to her website. I haven't checked to see if she has a YouTube channel.
    Alyce

I made my first Eleanor Burns quilt, log cabin, in the 70's when we moved to Virginia. We were living in temporary housing waiting for our new home to be finished. My husband cut the fabrics and I sewed them. I have made several other quilts by her methods over the years and watched lots of her TV shows. I was privileged to meet her at a quilt show, I think it was Road to California and she was so delightful to talk with. Yes, I enjoy her wit and humor so much.

Blog Entries
    She is often on PBS channel here. She makes me laugh when she throws those scraps over her shoulder! She sold those scraps for $.75 a signed bag. I included them in gifts to my sewing friends. What a hit they made! She was in Shipshewana at the quilt festival a couple of years ago. She is so much fun to see and talk with. Not only was she there, she brought along at least 100 of her antique quilts for display. Heavenly!!!!! She makes you feel like she has known you forever. Love her, love her books and was crazy about those antique quilts.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

She used to be on our PBS network years ago and I watch her faithfully every Saturday morning until PBS moved on to something else. She was the best quilt teacher I ever had.

At bought a bag of scraps thrown by Eleanor. LOL She is truly the Queen of Quilting. I have met her many times having gone to her Meet and Greet Dinner in Paducah for many years. Truly a genuine nice lady.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

All of her tv programs and more are on YouTube! Her block club videos are a hoot!-on YouTube........her patterns are perfect and if you follow her directions to a T, all those seams just nest beautifully.....I also have and use most of her rulers...make quilting so much more pleasant,

Blog Entries
    Oh yes, she is wonderful. I've been watching her for years and years. not on here though, sad to say. she is good for beginners. cuts over sized and trims. good way to learn until you can do things better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teen View Post
    I love watching her on TV. Yesterday, I watched her show on the Tennessee Waltz pattern. She is just too cute for words. "And, lookie here..isn't that matching point darling?" I just love her! And, I always learn some new technique when I Watch her. My hubbie will bellow across the house "Honey, the quilt lady is on TV!!!" Then, he sits and watches it with me. Yesterday, he said, "she really lays on the sweetness a little thick". My response, "That's Eleonor!!" Lol! Do any of you ever watch her shows?

Where do you find her show?
    rvsfan
    A Ricky Van Shelton fan

I watch her on our PBS Wed. afternoons. They sometimes are reruns, but you will see something different. I was at Mountain Quilt Fest walking down a hallway,and you couldn't miss her Smile. I told her about my DD throwing the scraps over her shoulder, and how it was the last time she did that. Eleanor is a special person!!!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-01-2018 at 04:42 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

I watch her on you tube. I love her stories about her
    Pennsylvania German upbringing. Her sister who retired recently (name escapes me at the moment) had a trunk show at Pocono Sew and Vac in 2016 and was also entertaining and fun.
    Last edited by Nesie; 03-01-2018 at 07:46 AM.

Blog Entries
    i had her show on PBS in Colorado but not here in Texas. Dish network, duh. I now only get Fon's and Porter's show and Make it Sew. nothing else.

EB seems to be such a nice lady--I'm glad to hear those of you who have met her confirm that she is! My husband complains about her "kindergarten teacher" voice, but she's a gem.

Quote Originally Posted by rvsfan View Post
    Where do you find her show?
    I watch it on Directv RFD channel, but they are old shows. Geri B says all of her shows are on YouTube.
    Alyce

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    Oh yes, she is wonderful. I've been watching her for years and years. not on here though, sad to say. she is good for beginners. cuts over sized and trims. good way to learn until you can do things better.
    I agree, she is good for beginners, but also for us seasoned quilters. Better to trim down a pieced part rather than be shy when trying to put together. And her way of doing a specific block is usually simpler than others instructions on that same block........jmho

Hi teen! My first ever "speed" quilt was the log cabin in a day by her. Oh my, tearing all those fabric strips and the bruised edges. How fun and funny it was. She was always my favored host to watch. I don't get her on PBS anymore, but I always used to tape her show.
    All that being said, I have tons of her books and I enjoy using them. (Occasionally making one quilt here and there) I used to crack up when she just threw that fabric over her shoulder across the room. What a great teacher and a joy to watch.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 03-01-2018 at 02:02 PM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

EB's San Marcos store is just down the road from me about 60 miles and I've been there a ton of times. I have a bunch of her books and she's really the reason I chose a Babylock machine. She knows those models inside and out. I went to Road to Calif last year and she was in her booth just a smilin away. She signed my book that I brought and asked to see any pictures of my quilts. I happen to have several (duh!!) and she oohed and auhed like they were the most fantastic things she ever saw. She'd asked me questions and ask me to blow up pictures so she could see the colorway and my piecing. She gave me compliments and encouraged me to stay with the craft. She's special.

When I first started quilting, I learned a lot from watching her shows on PBS. She's so nice - I met her many years ago in Paducah. Once in a while I'll catch her show on that rural network.
    Lori

Two years ago, at the Shipshewana Quilt Show, I entered a small restaurant for a quick lunch. The dining room was very crowded, but I spied one table with a lady sitting alone. I asked her if I could share her table and lo and behold Eleanor Burns turned to me and said sure! We had a nice lunch and took a Selfie which she e-mailed to me. I agree, she is a very nice lady!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast