Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting with Rayon fabric?

Quilting with Rayon fabric?

Is it possible? Specifically prohibited? All the prettiest Hawaiian shirts are rayon. Its made from wood pulp, so not plastic. I know the process uses a ton of chemicals, so I really only need to know about how it would affect a quilt.

Blog Entries
    People make silk quilts, so why note? If it's a bit too flimsy, you can use an iron on stabilizer. Choose one with a low temp adhesive. The only other thing would be that it may not wear as well as cotton, so a light use/decorative quilt would be just fine
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Power Poster
    I would iron a piece on low heat and see how it reacts. If it didn't shrink up or crinkle, I would piece with larger seam allowances since I find it frays more then cotton. It might be kind of slippery to cut and sew with also.

The rayon clothing I've worn has shrunk very unevenly if accidentally put in the washer. Because of that I would be sure to wash it before using it in a quilt.

Good advice, Dunster.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think it depends upon what you plan to do with it. I used a rayon shirt and swim trunks in a memory quilt that wasn't going to get much wear & tear (or washing). It can be fussy when cut due to fraying issues.

Thanks all. I was definitely planning to prewash, iron and starch heavily if I used rayon. Good to hear that someone else went there before me.

I used rayon batiks to piece a jacket. I chose a simple design because I knew that the rayons tend to shift on you. I didn't want to put an interfacing on the back because I wanted to preserve the hand of the rayon. It worked well.

Rayons do tend to react weirdly when washed. Some are fine and some shrink or get way too soft and flimsy so I would make sure the fabrics were washed before using.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

A lot of the rayon garments I have had over the years say to dry clean only/do not wash or machine dry.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Authentic Hawaiian shirts are made of 100% cotton. Check out stores like Goodwill and check the labels. They will say if they're cotton, silk, rayon or a blend. My ex used to sell them at shows. Unfortunately, I can't remember the names of the ones he sold. I think Tommy Bahama was one but I'm not sure.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

I washed all my rayon clothing and would not hesitate to use it in a quilt, though I wouldn't choose a pattern with small pieces. I love the depth of color in rayon. There is an issue with flammability, but I don't use candles anymore so there are no open flames here. Besides, who lets a quilt get near a flame? No children's pjs, but that's not what you asked. Have at it and post a picture!

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieLou View Post
    Authentic Hawaiian shirts are made of 100% cotton. Check out stores like Goodwill and check the labels. They will say if they're cotton, silk, rayon or a blend. My ex used to sell them at shows. Unfortunately, I can't remember the names of the ones he sold. I think Tommy Bahama was one but I'm not sure.
    I thought they were mostly cotton, too, but i was looking in Goodwill during their last sale, and all the really pretty ones were rayon. I found a couple to use on the back of the t-shirt quilt, but not many. O think I'll do a practice one with rayon, to see what happens. Will report back when done.

there is a line of batik fabrics made from Rayon. I see their booth every year at road to California. I have sewn with it and it is hard to detect the difference between that and regular cotton batik. It seems to hold up well and has a wonderful hand feel.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
    I thought they were mostly cotton, too, but i was looking in Goodwill during their last sale, and all the really pretty ones were rayon. I found a couple to use on the back of the t-shirt quilt, but not many. O think I'll do a practice one with rayon, to see what happens. Will report back when done.
    You can also try and sell them on ebay and buy fabric from the money you made.
    Anna Quilts