Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with Rayon fabric? >

Quilting with Rayon fabric?

Quilting with Rayon fabric?

Old 03-06-2018, 09:40 AM

I washed all my rayon clothing and would not hesitate to use it in a quilt, though I wouldn't choose a pattern with small pieces. I love the depth of color in rayon. There is an issue with flammability, but I don't use candles anymore so there are no open flames here. Besides, who lets a quilt get near a flame? No children's pjs, but that's not what you asked. Have at it and post a picture!
Old 03-06-2018, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou View Post
Authentic Hawaiian shirts are made of 100% cotton. Check out stores like Goodwill and check the labels. They will say if they're cotton, silk, rayon or a blend. My ex used to sell them at shows. Unfortunately, I can't remember the names of the ones he sold. I think Tommy Bahama was one but I'm not sure.
I thought they were mostly cotton, too, but i was looking in Goodwill during their last sale, and all the really pretty ones were rayon. I found a couple to use on the back of the t-shirt quilt, but not many. O think I'll do a practice one with rayon, to see what happens. Will report back when done.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:26 PM
Power Poster

there is a line of batik fabrics made from Rayon. I see their booth every year at road to California. I have sewn with it and it is hard to detect the difference between that and regular cotton batik. It seems to hold up well and has a wonderful hand feel.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
I thought they were mostly cotton, too, but i was looking in Goodwill during their last sale, and all the really pretty ones were rayon. I found a couple to use on the back of the t-shirt quilt, but not many. O think I'll do a practice one with rayon, to see what happens. Will report back when done.
You can also try and sell them on ebay and buy fabric from the money you made.